Arthur Barrett | 5 Sep 05:26 2005

OpenCVS status?

Hi all,

I recently came across mention of the OpenCVS project which seems to be
related to OpenBSD in some way:
http://www.opencvs.org/

The project goals seem very similar to the CVSNT goals (which despite
its name runs fine on Linux/Unix and as far as I know BSD).  CVSNT is
free and is licensed under the GNU GPL.
http://www.cvsnt.org/wiki/
or
http://march-hare.com/cvspro/

CVSNT has already had five years of stable releases (since it branched
from CVS).

The only persons name I can find associated with the OpenCVS project is
Joris Vink.  Does anyone know how to get in touch with the people from
this project?

My primary interest is in determining if the CVSNT/OpenCVS project
effort can perhaps be consolidated.

Thanks,

Arthur Barrett

Arthur Barrett | 5 Sep 05:56 2005

Re: OpenCVS status?

Tobias / Chris,

You both more-or-less asked the same question:

> Is CVSNT willing to change its license to the BSD license?

Well the problem as Chris pointed out is that your current OpenCVS code
is also GPL.

With release 3.1 of CVSNT (which is over a year away) it may be possible
to re-license, and I'd be happy to discuss this with the right people on
both sides of the table.

However I imagine that short term the OpenCVS project will be just as
GPL as CVSNT, and so my first ports of call are effort and function.

As for effort and function, this fits with the descirption of the
project goal on opencvs.org/goals.html:
* Stay as compatible as possible with GNU cvs without compromising the
security of the system.
* Be as secure as possible. Code carefully, do strict validity checks
especially in the network input path, and use bounded buffer operations.
Use privilege separation to mitigate the effects of possible security
bugs.
* Provide a much better access control on repository files.

Without getting into a lot of detail - CVSNT achieved this about a year
ago (or earlier), and we are now onto "phase 2" of adding useful
features.

(Continue reading)

Theo de Raadt | 5 Sep 06:16 2005
Picon

Re: OpenCVS status?

> You both more-or-less asked the same question:
>
> > Is CVSNT willing to change its license to the BSD license?
>
> Well the problem as Chris pointed out is that your current OpenCVS code
> is also GPL.

It is highly highly unfortunate that you are so misinformed.  I don't
see how there is way anyone could cooperate with people who don't do
research.  Like, come on.

/*      $OpenBSD: add.c,v 1.27 2005/07/30 00:01:50 joris Exp $  */
/*
 * Copyright (c) 2004 Jean-Francois Brousseau <jfb <at> openbsd.org>
 * All rights reserved.
 *
 * are met:
 *
 * 2. The name of the author may not be used to endorse or promote products
 *    derived from this software without specific prior written permission.
 *
 * THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED ``AS IS'' AND ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES,
 * INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY
 * AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE ARE DISCLAIMED. IN NO EVENT SHALL
 * THE AUTHOR BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL,
 * EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL  DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO,
(Continue reading)

Chris Kuethe | 5 Sep 07:51 2005
Picon

Re: OpenCVS status?

On 9/4/05, Arthur Barrett <arthur.barrett <at> march-hare.com> wrote:
> Well the problem as Chris pointed out is that your current OpenCVS code
> is also GPL.

I think I may have been a bit unclear. I meant to say that the cvs
currently in use is GPL cvs, and that a new, compatible BSD cvs (named
opencvs) is being written.

Arthur Barrett | 5 Sep 06:19 2005

Re: OpenCVS status?

> amd64:147> pwd
> /usr/src/usr.bin/cvs
> amd64:148> grep -i GPL *

Ahh.. Ok.  A quick glance looked sufficiently like the CVS structure and
I saw what I thought were some imports from the GNU CVS that I leapt to
an incorrect conclusion on the license.

> That's nice -- saying that you are doing the same as what OpenCVS is
doing.

From what I can see OpenCVS project began about a year ago, CVSNT about
7 years ago, but I could be wrong on that score too.  Regardless I am
assuming that neither team has known of each other and my primary
interest is as I stated earlier - to find out the status and if there
would be benefit to both projects combining effort.

I'm not sure if the people who have e-mailed me are actually involved in
the OpenCVS effort or not, however the off-list reaction seems to be
that the primary interest of the OpenCVS project is in re-licensing.  In
this case perhaps there wont be a lot of synergy between the projects.

If someone from the project does feel that there may be some synergy,
please contact me either on the list or off.

Thanks everyone for their responses.

Regards,

Arthur
(Continue reading)

Theo de Raadt | 5 Sep 06:38 2005
Picon

Re: OpenCVS status?

> > amd64:147> pwd
> > /usr/src/usr.bin/cvs
> > amd64:148> grep -i GPL *
>
> Ahh.. Ok.  A quick glance looked sufficiently like the CVS structure and
> I saw what I thought were some imports from the GNU CVS that I leapt to
> an incorrect conclusion on the license.

No kidding.

> > That's nice -- saying that you are doing the same as what OpenCVS is
> doing.
>
> From what I can see OpenCVS project began about a year ago, CVSNT about
> 7 years ago, but I could be wrong on that score too.  Regardless I am
> assuming that neither team has known of each other and my primary
> interest is as I stated earlier - to find out the status and if there
> would be benefit to both projects combining effort.

We were fully aware of there being other CVS projects, and we do not feel
that their stuff can help us towards our goals at all.  A lot of our goals
are -- as yet -- not disclosed.

> I'm not sure if the people who have e-mailed me are actually involved in
> the OpenCVS effort or not, however the off-list reaction seems to be
> that the primary interest of the OpenCVS project is in re-licensing.

That is not the primary goal at all.  Some people who really have nothing
to do with us, and know zero about where we are going, are saying that.
And they are wrong.