wkdev911 | 17 Feb 02:57 2012
Picon

Building 64 bit version of WebKit on Windows

Hi,

Have anyone managed to build a 64 bit Windows version of WebKit (in particular cairo port)? Could you give some advice on this?

The goal is to allow webkit.dll to be used from a 64 bit application. As far as I understand the only way is to build it as 64 bit, because of address space differences.

-Luc

Brent Fulgham | 21 Feb 05:31 2012
Picon

Re: Building 64 bit version of WebKit on Windows

Hi Luc,

On Feb 16, 2012, at 5:57 PM, wkdev911 wrote:

> Have anyone managed to build a 64 bit Windows version of WebKit (in particular cairo port)? Could you give
some advice on this?

> The goal is to allow webkit.dll to be used from a 64 bit application. As far as I understand the only way is to
build it as 64 bit, because of address space differences.

As I mentioned in my e-mail to you, I have not tried building WinCairo in 64-bit mode.

Since WebKit and all of the support libraries used in the WinCairo port are already being built under 64-bit
operating systems, I don't think there are any fundamental barriers to doing so.

There may be parts of the WebKit Windows backend that are coded with 32-bit API calls, but this should be "a
simple matter of programming" to identify and correct such instances.

The only wildcard I can think of is the pthreads library. However, I don't think there is anything
fundamentally preventing this from being built for 64-bit OS.

I actually need to get this working in the medium term, so I'm excited to hear that someone else is looking
into this.

Thanks,

-Brent
Luc R. | 21 Feb 18:53 2012
Picon

Re: Building 64 bit version of WebKit on Windows

Thank you Brent for replying.

I investigated win cairo support libaries, and it looks like there is dependency on 32 bit objc.dll, which is not freely available in sources. Thus, at the moment the whole project cannot be recompiled as 64 bit. Am I right?

--
-Luc
Hi Luc,<br><div class="im">

On Feb 21, 2012, at 9:53 AM, Luc R. wrote:

> I investigated win cairo support libaries, and it looks like there is dependency on 32 bit objc.dll, which
is not freely available in sources. Thus, at the moment the whole project cannot be recompiled as 64 bit. Am
I right?

The objc.dll is built as part of OpenCFLite.  All sources are provided (see https://github.com/bfulgham/WinCairoRequirements/tree/master/src/opencflite/objc4).

It's actually not really used for anything (IIRC) and could probably be removed.

Since there is no redistributable Objective C object library, I can't imagine what the DLL is actually
being used for.

-Brent

Gmane