Ralf Mardorf | 15 Dec 22:30 2012
Picon

Issues using BSD for the first time

Hi :)

after installing PC-BSD 8.2 64-bit on a multi-Linux-multi-boot machine,
I've got some issues.

1. Since I installed a xorg.conf, I sometimes have a wrong keyboard
layout for KDM only, for the KDE sessions it's always ok. Sometimes I
can type a "+" and sometimes I have to type a "`" to get a "+". I also
wonder what options I need to include to the xorg.conf and what options
I don't need to include. At the moment KDE disables desktop effects,
because the graphics should be to slow. I can't attach the current,
unfinished xorg.conf now, but perhaps it's a known issue. For me this
problem anyway is less important.

2. An important issue is, that I only can remove and update software,
but I can't install software. I always get a notification, that I should
try downloading the software later, but this never did work.

3. Another important issue is, that I need the snd_hdspe driver. Can I
update the kernel, or build a driver only or is there a special kernel
version I've to build?

4. I don't have any experiences and knowledge about BSD. It seems to be,
that I only can mount my Linux ext3 partitions, but not the ext4
partitions, at least by Dolphin.

I try to test FreeBSD/PC-BSD for audio and MIDI. Fixed installed to the
machine are 3 audio devices, one RME HDSPe AIO used with an ADA8000 for
audio, two TerraTec EWX 96/24 (Envy24) for MIDI only and external
devices can be USB MIDI devices, such as the KORG nanoKONTROL.