PCBSD 1.5rc1 -- Comments
2008-03-02 23:14:41 GMT
Installed on Acer Travelmate 4001 (P4-M w/ 1.5GHz, 2Gb Ram, Intel on-board video- 82855 )
Pros: (1) I liked what appears to be an even faster installer. (2) Computer booted faster.
(1) The Installer had a problem with Disk 2. Although I selected several packages, source code, and ports to install, I was never prompted to Insert Disk #2.
(2) After being prompted to Finish & Reboot, the computer did not reboot. The screen changed to black and appeared to be frozen. After power down, PCBSD started up normally and went into the X configuration routine.
(3) Although the X-configuration selected the correct driver (intel) and gave a nice list of available resolutions, the 1280x1024 I selected and confirmed was not what came up. The display turned out to be the common 1024x768.
(1) Correctly detected the built-in Intel Wireless card and appropriate driver (iwi)
(2) The Network Configuration Wizard opened to a default size large enough to see the Administrator button.
(1) Did not auto-configure wireless card.
(2) Network Configuration Wizard would not activate the "Configuration" Button to let me select or go into the configuration window. I was in the administrator mode as shown by the red line border.
(3) When I used a terminal & the ifconfig command to configure the iwi, the Network Configuration Wizard then crashed and the KDE Crash Handler appeared. The good news is that the crash did not damage the ifconfig results, and the iwi driver is working great.
(1) Boots faster. Runs faster. (Totally subjective of course.)
(2) Liked the green arrow icon showing my system was up-to-date
(3) System Fonts look very nice.
(1) Could not Fetch System Source (CSup) but was able to run "find fastest server" widget without problem.
(2) Could not Fetch Ports -- terminated after 22% saying that the server was down or I had a connection problem.
(1) Programs appear to be loading faster. System seems faster than 1.4.x.x
(2) See comment on unable to get prompt for Disk #2 in the "Installation" section above.
(1) K3B complained that its system probe failed to find the cdrtools package. Perhaps if ports were installed, this error would not have occurred.
(2) KFontView crashed.
(3) Manage Cups Printing did not come up.
Have not tried any PBI's
Thanks for the new release. I was impressed that you put FreeBSD 6.3 on the 220.127.116.11 release without any fanfare. Producing the 1.5 release so soon on the heels of 1.4 is very impressive.
Do you guys get time to sleep?
FitchKendall [at] Gmail [dot] com
_______________________________________________ Testing mailing list Testing@... http://lists.pcbsd.org/mailman/listinfo/testing