james | 29 Sep 00:41 2011

Minecraft Runs on PC-BSD

Hey all,

I recently got Minecraft working on both PC-BSD 8.2 (amd64) and PC-BSD 9.0 Beta 2 (amd64).  I followed this
guide: http://foo.poildetroll.net/minecraft/HOWTO_MINECRAFT_ON_FREEBSD.txt

The PBI would mostly match the openjdk6 PBI, but needs openal/jorbis included.  Also, we cannot distribute
the minecraft.jar, but it can be retrieved by the launcher. When it is retrieved it also pulls the
non-functional jinput/jutils/lwjgl libraries which must be replaced by the libs built with ant.
Getting all the libs to build was difficult, but once they built everything ran as expected.

Things to note

+ I couldn't build jinupt with apache-ant while openjdk was installed (on 9.0). However, it built when I
used the JRE 1.6 PBI on 8.2.

+ I built the libraries on 8.2, they also worked on 9.0.  I haven't built them using 9, yet.

+ After building the libraries you can use either openjdk6 or the JRE 1.6 PBI to play minecraft.

+ Sound doesn't work: "ERROR MESSAGE: Could not locate OpenAL library."

+ After installing audio/openal the SoundSystem initializes, but then locks up minecraft complaining
about the elusive "CodecJOrbis".  Apparently, we need JOrbis (java vorbis) included in the openal port as
a codec option.

+I successfully built the JOrbis source (including jogg and jorbis).

%: javac ~/com/jcraft/jogg/*java ~/com/jcraft/jorbis/*java

%: jar cvf0 jorbis.jar com/jcraft/*
(Continue reading)

Kris Moore | 29 Sep 17:04 2011

Re: Minecraft Runs on PC-BSD

On 09/28/11 18:41, james@... wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> I recently got Minecraft working on both PC-BSD 8.2 (amd64) and PC-BSD 9.0 Beta 2 (amd64).  I followed this
guide: http://foo.poildetroll.net/minecraft/HOWTO_MINECRAFT_ON_FREEBSD.txt

> The PBI would mostly match the openjdk6 PBI, but needs openal/jorbis included.  Also, we cannot
distribute the minecraft.jar, but it can be retrieved by the launcher. When it is retrieved it also pulls
the non-functional jinput/jutils/lwjgl libraries which must be replaced by the libs built with ant.
Getting all the libs to build was difficult, but once they built everything ran as expected.

> Things to note
>
> + I couldn't build jinupt with apache-ant while openjdk was installed (on 9.0). However, it built when I
used the JRE 1.6 PBI on 8.2.

> + I built the libraries on 8.2, they also worked on 9.0.  I haven't built them using 9, yet.
>
> + After building the libraries you can use either openjdk6 or the JRE 1.6 PBI to play minecraft.
>
> + Sound doesn't work: "ERROR MESSAGE: Could not locate OpenAL library."
>
> + After installing audio/openal the SoundSystem initializes, but then locks up minecraft complaining
about the elusive "CodecJOrbis".  Apparently, we need JOrbis (java vorbis) included in the openal port as
a codec option.

> +I successfully built the JOrbis source (including jogg and jorbis).
>
> %: javac ~/com/jcraft/jogg/*java ~/com/jcraft/jorbis/*java

(Continue reading)

Matt Olander | 29 Sep 17:49 2011

Re: Minecraft Runs on PC-BSD