Joshua Smith | 11 Oct 00:47 2012

PC-BSD 9.1-RC2 - Now available!

The RC2 images for the upcoming PC-BSD 9.1 are now available for i386 and amd64 architectures! This release candidate provides both users and developers a means to test out new features in the upcoming PC-BSD 9.1 release. This snapshot may contain buggy code and features, so users are encouraged to run it only on non-critical systems. Changes since the previous release candidate ----------------------------------------- * Fixed multiple bugs where mice freeze or behave incorrectly. * Fixed language selection to be displayed as native language. * Compatibility improvements for PS2 mice. * Fixed time-out issues with External DVD Drive / USB Drives. * Updated system proxy paths and functionality. * Updated sound detection functionality. * Added mp3 / ogg encoders to CD rippers. * Added detection for NVIDIA Optimus systems. * Added options for cups-base, to fix an issue with many printers printing blank pages when using ghostscript for pdftops conversion. * Improved sys-manager to only update ports tree if it already is checked out. * Improvements to the wardens functionality and stability. Improved jail importing functionality. * Added "Update All" button for AppCafe. * Graphical enhancements for EasyPBI. Highlights for the upcoming 9.1-Release ----------------------------------------- * FreeBSD 9.1 * KDE 4.8.4 * New system installer! Greatly simplified for desktop and server installs. * New "PC-BSD Server" installation option. Includes command-line utilities like pbi-manager, warden, metapkgmanager and more. * Support for ZFS mirror / raidz(1,2,3) during installation. * Support for SWAP on ZFS, allowing entire disk ZFS installation. * Support for setting additional ZFS data-set options, such as compression, noexec, etc. * Warden jail management integrated into system. Allows creating jails via GUI, adding packages and other administration. * Support for Warden to create Linux Jails * New "Sound Configuration GUI" * New "Hardware compatibility" GUI * First boot setup wizard allows OEM installs to be easily performed. * New Bluetooth pairing tray / GUI utilities. * New AppCafe improvements and preferences * Improvements to wifi utility * Fixed bug causing untranslated strings to show up empty. * Numerous bug-fixes to PC-BSD related utilities * Support for creating PXE boot server for remote desktop and installation. * ZFS beadm support * And much more! Errata --------------------------------------------- * If you wish to update from 9.0 to RC2 you may do so by editing the "/usr/local/share/pcbsd/pc-updatemanager/conf/sysupdate.conf" file and changing the PATCHSET: variable to "pcbsdtest". After changing this variable, you may run the updater utility, to download a new update manager. Once this update manager is installed, the online update to the RC2 version will appear. Download --------------------------------------------- The DVD & USB images are available via the PC-BSD mirrors. You may select the mirror and files from the URL below: http://www.pcbsd.org/getmirrors.php?url=9.1-RC2
Lars Engels | 11 Oct 11:44 2012
Picon

Re: PC-BSD 9.1-RC2 - Now available!

On Wed, Oct 10, 2012 at 06:47:07PM -0400, Joshua Smith wrote:
> The RC2 images for the upcoming PC-BSD 9.1 are now available for i386 and amd64 architectures!

Great, and I really want to install it, but the GUI Installer doesn't
let me:

"Failed to install:System Update to 9.1-RC2 Failed to install update!
Please check your network connection, or change mirror servers in the
System Manager."

Not too verbose, so I tried running
"pc-updatemanager install release-9.1-RC2"

Which shows the correct error message:
"ERROR: Less than 2GB free on /usr, please clear some additional space
to continue!"

# df -h /usr
Filesystem         Size    Used   Avail Capacity  Mounted on
/dev/label/usr0     14G     11G    1.9G    86%    /usr

It would be helpful if the GUI would also show this error message.

On a side note: When I right-click the Update Manager Icon in the tray
the first entry is "Updatemanager wird gestartet." ("Starting Update
Manager").

Is that a mis-translation?
Hans Ruhe | 11 Oct 12:22 2012
Picon

Re: PC-BSD 9.1-RC2 - Now available!

Hi guys,

I have the same experience unfortunately.
Hope you can repair it !

Best regards,
Hans

2012/10/11 Lars Engels <lars.engels-3AddwF1N+/8@public.gmane.org>
On Wed, Oct 10, 2012 at 06:47:07PM -0400, Joshua Smith wrote:
> The RC2 images for the upcoming PC-BSD 9.1 are now available for i386 and amd64 architectures!

Great, and I really want to install it, but the GUI Installer doesn't
let me:

"Failed to install:System Update to 9.1-RC2 Failed to install update!
Please check your network connection, or change mirror servers in the
System Manager."

Not too verbose, so I tried running
"pc-updatemanager install release-9.1-RC2"

Which shows the correct error message:
"ERROR: Less than 2GB free on /usr, please clear some additional space
to continue!"

# df -h /usr
Filesystem         Size    Used   Avail Capacity  Mounted on
/dev/label/usr0     14G     11G    1.9G    86%    /usr

It would be helpful if the GUI would also show this error message.

On a side note: When I right-click the Update Manager Icon in the tray
the first entry is "Updatemanager wird gestartet." ("Starting Update
Manager").

Is that a mis-translation?

Kris Moore | 11 Oct 17:27 2012

Re: PC-BSD 9.1-RC2 - Now available!

I have the same experience unfortunately.
Hope you can repair it !

Best regards,
Hans

2012/10/11 Lars Engels <lars.engels-3AddwF1N+/8@public.gmane.org>
On Wed, Oct 10, 2012 at 06:47:07PM -0400, Joshua Smith wrote:
> The RC2 images for the upcoming PC-BSD 9.1 are now available for i386 and amd64 architectures!

Great, and I really want to install it, but the GUI Installer doesn't
let me:

"Failed to install:System Update to 9.1-RC2 Failed to install update!
Please check your network connection, or change mirror servers in the
System Manager."

Not too verbose, so I tried running
"pc-updatemanager install release-9.1-RC2"

Which shows the correct error message:
"ERROR: Less than 2GB free on /usr, please clear some additional space
to continue!"

# df -h /usr
Filesystem         Size    Used   Avail Capacity  Mounted on
/dev/label/usr0     14G     11G    1.9G    86%    /usr

It would be helpful if the GUI would also show this error message.

On a side note: When I right-click the Update Manager Icon in the tray
the first entry is "Updatemanager wird gestartet." ("Starting Update
Manager").

Is that a mis-translation?

Do you both have less than 2GB available in /usr? If so, there isn't a lot I can do, aside from tell you to free up some space. The update is going to download between 1-2GB of data.

The right-click issue sounds like a mis-translation though, you may want to check for that string on pootle.pcbsd.org :)

-- Kris Moore PC-BSD Software iXsystems
Lars Engels | 11 Oct 17:41 2012

On Thu, Oct 11, 2012 at 11:27:36AM -0400, Kris Moore wrote:
> On 10/11/2012 06:22, Hans Ruhe wrote:
> > Hi guys,
> >
> > I have the same experience unfortunately.
> > Hope you can repair it !
> >
> > Best regards,
> > Hans
> >
> > 2012/10/11 Lars Engels <lars.engels@...
> > <mailto:lars.engels@...>>
> >
> >     On Wed, Oct 10, 2012 at 06:47:07PM -0400, Joshua Smith wrote:
> >     > The RC2 images for the upcoming PC-BSD 9.1 are now available for
> >     i386 and amd64 architectures!
> >

> >     Great, and I really want to install it, but the GUI Installer doesn't
> >     let me:
> >
> >     "Failed to install:System Update to 9.1-RC2 Failed to install update!
> >     Please check your network connection, or change mirror servers in the
> >     System Manager."
> >
> >     Not too verbose, so I tried running
> >     "pc-updatemanager install release-9.1-RC2"
> >
> >     Which shows the correct error message:
> >     "ERROR: Less than 2GB free on /usr, please clear some additional space
> >     to continue!"
> >
> >     # df -h /usr
> >     Filesystem         Size    Used   Avail Capacity  Mounted on
> >     /dev/label/usr0     14G     11G    1.9G    86%    /usr
> >

> >     It would be helpful if the GUI would also show this error message.
> >

> >     On a side note: When I right-click the Update Manager Icon in the tray
> >     the first entry is "Updatemanager wird gestartet." ("Starting Update
> >     Manager").
> >
> >     Is that a mis-translation?

> Do you both have less than 2GB available in /usr? If so, there isn't a
> lot I can do, aside from tell you to free up some space. The update is
> going to download between 1-2GB of data.

Yeah, I had less than 2 GB free. After removing some stuff from
/usr/home I got the next error saying that I need to have 6 GB free in
/usr/local ...

I removed the ports tree and more, so I can now start the update.

> The right-click issue sounds like a mis-translation though, you may want
> to check for that string on pootle.pcbsd.org :)

Yup, fixed that and while I was there I also translated the pc-mounttray
stuff.
Kris Moore | 11 Oct 17:59 2012

Re: PC-BSD 9.1-RC2 - Now available!