David | 24 Oct 13:39 2012
Picon

Bluetooth is recognised but never works

I have PC-BSD 9.1-RC2 on my Netbook (Samsung NB30) and although the
Bluetooth is recognised, I can't send files via Bluetooth.  I have
Ubuntu 12.04 on this same netbook and using an app called "Blueman" (in
Ubuntu) I can instantly send files from my mobile phone via Bluetooth.
I simply Bluetooth files to my netbook and "Blueman" pops-up a
confirmation dialogue to accept or cancel.  This is very easy and
user-friendly.  I'm hoping this same method could be used in PC-BSD when
transferring files via Bluetooth.  No "pairing" or having to battle with
pin codes.

I have mentioned this in the PC-BSD forums (my username on there is also
David30) and I've been directed from there to this mailing list.  It's
my first post here and I've never used a mailing list before, so still
got lots to learn.  I'm also a newbie to PC-BSD, but have plenty of time
to beta-test it and help contribute to making it better in any way I can.
Ken Moore | 24 Oct 15:24 2012

Re: Bluetooth is recognised but never works

On 10/24/2012 07:39, David wrote:
> I have PC-BSD 9.1-RC2 on my Netbook (Samsung NB30) and although the
> Bluetooth is recognised, I can't send files via Bluetooth.  I have
> Ubuntu 12.04 on this same netbook and using an app called "Blueman"
> (in Ubuntu) I can instantly send files from my mobile phone via
> Bluetooth.  I simply Bluetooth files to my netbook and "Blueman"
> pops-up a confirmation dialogue to accept or cancel. This is very easy
> and user-friendly.  I'm hoping this same method could be used in
> PC-BSD when transferring files via Bluetooth.  No "pairing" or having
> to battle with pin codes.
>
> I have mentioned this in the PC-BSD forums (my username on there is
> also David30) and I've been directed from there to this mailing list.
> It's my first post here and I've never used a mailing list before, so
> still got lots to learn.  I'm also a newbie to PC-BSD, but have plenty
> of time to beta-test it and help contribute to making it better in any
> way I can.

The current version of the Bluetooth manager *ONLY* sets up
pairing/connections between devices, it does not currently facilitate
the activation/usage of other bluetooth services (such as file sharing,
etc...). You will still need to use the command-line FreeBSD methods for
starting/using bluetooth services as necessary after the pairing is
completed via the GUI.

(Continue reading)

David | 25 Oct 14:37 2012
Picon

On 24/10/12 14:24, Ken Moore wrote:
> On 10/24/2012 07:39, David wrote:
>> I have PC-BSD 9.1-RC2 on my Netbook (Samsung NB30) and although the
>> Bluetooth is recognised, I can't send files via Bluetooth.  I have
>> Ubuntu 12.04 on this same netbook and using an app called "Blueman"
>> (in Ubuntu) I can instantly send files from my mobile phone via
>> Bluetooth.  I simply Bluetooth files to my netbook and "Blueman"
>> pops-up a confirmation dialogue to accept or cancel. This is very
>> easy and user-friendly.  I'm hoping this same method could be used in
>> PC-BSD when transferring files via Bluetooth.  No "pairing" or having
>> to battle with pin codes.
>>
>> I have mentioned this in the PC-BSD forums (my username on there is
>> also David30) and I've been directed from there to this mailing
>> list.  It's my first post here and I've never used a mailing list
>> before, so still got lots to learn.  I'm also a newbie to PC-BSD, but
>> have plenty of time to beta-test it and help contribute to making it
>> better in any way I can.

> The current version of the Bluetooth manager *ONLY* sets up
> pairing/connections between devices, it does not currently facilitate
> the activation/usage of other bluetooth services (such as file
> sharing, etc...). You will still need to use the command-line FreeBSD
> methods for starting/using bluetooth services as necessary after the
> pairing is completed via the GUI.
(Continue reading)

Ken Moore | 25 Oct 18:31 2012

On 10/25/2012 08:37, David wrote:
> On 24/10/12 14:24, Ken Moore wrote:
>> On 10/24/2012 07:39, David wrote:
>>> I have PC-BSD 9.1-RC2 on my Netbook (Samsung NB30) and although the
>>> Bluetooth is recognised, I can't send files via Bluetooth.  I have
>>> Ubuntu 12.04 on this same netbook and using an app called "Blueman"
>>> (in Ubuntu) I can instantly send files from my mobile phone via
>>> Bluetooth. I simply Bluetooth files to my netbook and "Blueman"
>>> pops-up a confirmation dialogue to accept or cancel. This is very
>>> easy and user-friendly.  I'm hoping this same method could be used
>>> in PC-BSD when transferring files via Bluetooth.  No "pairing" or
>>> having to battle with pin codes.
>>>
>>> I have mentioned this in the PC-BSD forums (my username on there is
>>> also David30) and I've been directed from there to this mailing
>>> list.  It's my first post here and I've never used a mailing list
>>> before, so still got lots to learn.  I'm also a newbie to PC-BSD,
>>> but have plenty of time to beta-test it and help contribute to
>>> making it better in any way I can.

>> The current version of the Bluetooth manager *ONLY* sets up
>> pairing/connections between devices, it does not currently facilitate
>> the activation/usage of other bluetooth services (such as file
>> sharing, etc...). You will still need to use the command-line FreeBSD
>> methods for starting/using bluetooth services as necessary after the
(Continue reading)

David | 26 Oct 17:23 2012
Picon

On 25/10/12 17:31, Ken Moore wrote:
> On 10/25/2012 08:37, David wrote:

>>> The current version of the Bluetooth manager *ONLY* sets up
>>> pairing/connections between devices, it does not currently
>>> facilitate the activation/usage of other bluetooth services (such as
>>> file sharing, etc...). You will still need to use the command-line
(Continue reading)

Bridger Dyson-Smith | 29 Oct 00:23 2012
Picon

Re: Bluetooth is recognised but never works

Hi David & Ken --

I used the following page as an additional guideline for the documentation in the Handbook [1]. My attempt involved two separate Android phones -- a Motorola Droid X and a Samsung Galaxy Nexus (I can hardly wait to move to using the Nexus -- soon... :)). Overall, the process was a failure - but I'm not sure if it's due to a discoverability timeout on the phones, or a problem with obexapp.

Let me know if I can provide any additional details & I'll pass them along.
Best,
Bridger

I) Turned on Bluetooth (Thinkpad X61, 9.1-RC2 amd64, Broadcom Corp BCM2045B)
> sudo sysctl dev.acpi_ibm.0.bluetooth=1
II) Set both phones to discoverable
III) Ran the following commands:
> hccontrol inquiry
Inquiry result #0
BD_ADDR: 38:0a:94:3c:52:01
Page Scan Rep. Mode: 0x1
Page Scan Period Mode: 00
Page Scan Mode: 00
Class: 5a:02:0c
Clock offset: 0x2912
Inquiry result #0
BD_ADDR: cc:8c:e3:d5:2b:64
Page Scan Rep. Mode: 0x1
Page Scan Period Mode: 00
Page Scan Mode: 00
Class: 5a:02:0c
Clock offset: 0x43d9
> su -
# cd /etc/bluetooth
# vi hcsecd.conf
(added both phones to the file, like so)
device {
 bdaddr  cc:8c:e3:d5:2b:64;
 name    "DROIDX";
 key     nokey;
 pin     1234;
}

device {
 bdaddr  38:0a:94:3c:52:01;
 name "Galaxy Nexus";
 key     nokey;
 pin     1234;
}
[root <at> rook] /etc/bluetooth# hccontrol write_authentication_enable 1
[root <at> rook] /etc/bluetooth# hccontrol read_authentication_enable
Authentication Enable: Enabled [1]
[root <at> rook] /etc/bluetooth# hcsecd

(The linked page didn't mention editing the hosts file, but I did. Maybe this is the reason the process didn't work for me? Probably not, as hosts seems to just be a alias list so you don't have to always use the BD_ADDR. This is what I added to the end of the hosts file...)
# Added following lines, bridger, 2012-10-28
# cc:8c:e3:d5:2b:64 droidx
# 38:0a:94:3c:52:01 galNexus

(I never really had any luck after this -- I couldn't connect to either of the phones)
obexapp -c -a cc:8c:e3:d5:2b:64 -C ftrn
obexapp: Could not obtain RFCOMM channel: Permission denied

I'll give this another try in the next couple of days & see if I can't get farther along with it. Again, let me know if I can provide any additional info.

[...]

The link to the relevent section in the FreeBSD handbook is here[1]. You will specifically want to look at the different protocol sections and how to activate them.

I will be re-visiting the Bluetooth manager for 9.2 in order to try and setup some of the services automatically if possible. As I am not very familiar with using bluetooth services at the moment, so I would appreciate it if you could send the steps you needed to take for the appropriate services to access your device(s). This would greatly speed up the process of creating an automated procedure for the bluetooth manager to handle.

Thanks!

[1] http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/network-bluetooth.html

I have read that page in the FreeBSD handbook and I don't understand which commands to use - the commands are too cryptic for me.  If users want to transfer files from a Bluetooth device, like a mobile phone, to PC-BSD, can it be made to behave in the same way as the "Blueman" app in Ubuntu - that is, send files via Bluetooth to PC-BSD, click on "accept" and the files are transferred immediately?

From reading through the handbook again, it looks like the first thing you want to do is browse what services are even available for your device using the following command: "sdpcontrol -a <device number> browse"
Scanning through the output should give you some idea of what services can even be used. The protocols/services that are specifically mentioned are:
  L2CAP - use the "l2ping" and "l2control" commands to use this service
  RFCOMM - "emulation of serial ports over the L2CAP protocol" (use the "l2control" command?)
  OPUSH - file transfers between devices. I do not think PC-BSD has the comms/obexapp port installed by default, so you may need to add it to the base system with "pkg_add -r obexapp". Then you can use the "obexapp" command to move files around (looks a bit like the sftp usage from the examples).
  SPP - Serial cable emulation from "rfcomm_sppd" command
  DUN & PPP - Networking using the "ppp" and "rfcomm_pppd" commands

So it looks like you specifically are interested in using the OPUSH protocol to move files around. So I would read mimic the examples in that small section (32.4.9) to see if you can get it working. One note, this is all does via the terminal, and not as easy as it should be. That is why I am going to see if I can automate/simplify this process for PC-BSD 9.2, so any information you can send me about success/failure and the steps you took will greatly speed up the process.

Thanks!

I've tried them commands but I can't understand them and sometimes I get "command not found".  This is too complicated for me to understand.  I can't be of any help.  Can anyone else with a bluetooth phone try this and send files - if you understand what all this means because I'm totally bamboozled by these cryptic commands!