Hill, Jeffrey O | 29 Mar 20:13 2012

rtems git readonly access behind corporate firewall

Hi,

I am attempting to use the RTEMS git repository but the following recommended command doesn't work.

> git clone git://git.rtems.org/rtems.git rtems

We have a corporate firewall here so it appears that I am forced to use one of the following commands instead
(emphasis on http) after configuring the proper http proxy in git, but neither of these attempts are
successful. There is an "rtems" but not an "rtems.git" at http://git.rtems.org/.

clone http://git.rtems.org/rtems.git rtems
clone http://git.rtems.org/rtems rtems

The first command above results in a the following message.

"warning: remote HEAD refers to nonexistent ref, unable to checkout."

The second command above results in long delays and eventually a message about the connection being reset
by its peer.

I admit to being a git newbie so maybe someone will immediately recognize what I am doing wrong.

Jeff

Cláudio Silva | 29 Mar 20:37 2012
Picon

Re: rtems git readonly access behind corporate firewall

Hi Jeff,

git clone http://git.rtems.org/rtems rtems works for me.

There were some problems earlier today in the RTEMS git repository.
You probably tried to clone when those issues were being solved by
Joel and therefore you got cloning errors.
Please try again. It should work.

Regards,
Cláudio

On Thu, Mar 29, 2012 at 7:13 PM, Hill, Jeffrey O <johill@...> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am attempting to use the RTEMS git repository but the following recommended command doesn't work.
>
>> git clone git://git.rtems.org/rtems.git rtems
>
> We have a corporate firewall here so it appears that I am forced to use one of the following commands instead
(emphasis on http) after configuring the proper http proxy in git, but neither of these attempts are
successful. There is an "rtems" but not an "rtems.git" at http://git.rtems.org/.

> clone http://git.rtems.org/rtems.git rtems
> clone http://git.rtems.org/rtems rtems
>
> The first command above results in a the following message.
>
> "warning: remote HEAD refers to nonexistent ref, unable to checkout."

(Continue reading)

Gedare Bloom | 29 Mar 20:42 2012

Re: rtems git readonly access behind corporate firewall

On Thu, Mar 29, 2012 at 2:37 PM, Cláudio Silva
<claudiodcsilva@...> wrote:
> Hi Jeff,
>
> git clone http://git.rtems.org/rtems rtems works for me.
>
> There were some problems earlier today in the RTEMS git repository.
> You probably tried to clone when those issues were being solved by
> Joel and therefore you got cloning errors.
> Please try again. It should work.
>

> Regards,
> Cláudio
>
> On Thu, Mar 29, 2012 at 7:13 PM, Hill, Jeffrey O <johill@...> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am attempting to use the RTEMS git repository but the following recommended command doesn't work.
>>
>>> git clone git://git.rtems.org/rtems.git rtems

Also due to the repo being down the usual git clone was not working
using the git protocol so you might want to retry this as well.
-Gedare

>> We have a corporate firewall here so it appears that I am forced to use one of the following commands
instead (emphasis on http) after configuring the proper http proxy in git, but neither of these attempts
are successful. There is an "rtems" but not an "rtems.git" at http://git.rtems.org/.

(Continue reading)

Hill, Jeffrey O | 30 Mar 00:27 2012

RE: rtems git readonly access behind corporate firewall

Hi Again,

I seem to continue experiencing some issues with the rtems git despite some potential fixes to the
repository this am, but again I am a git newbie so I could easily be doing something dumb.

The first attempt below is almost certainly caused by the local corporate firewall, whereas the 2nd and 3rd
attempt specify http to avoid that issue, but are nevertheless unsuccessful. I did also configure the
local http proxy address into the local git client.

hill <at> ubuntu:~/nios2-rtems/rtems/rtems-git$ git clone git://git.rtems.org/rtems.git rtems
Cloning into rtems...
git.rtems.org[0: 67.63.146.252]: errno=No route to host
fatal: unable to connect a socket (No route to host)

hill <at> ubuntu:~/nios2-rtems/rtems/rtems-git$ git clone http://git.rtems.org/rtems.git rtems
Cloning into rtems...
warning: remote HEAD refers to nonexistent ref, unable to checkout.

hill <at> ubuntu:~/nios2-rtems/rtems/rtems-git$ git clone http://git.rtems.org/rtems  rtems
Cloning into rtems...
error: Recv failure: Connection reset by peer (curl_result = 56, http_code = 200, sha1 = 1c47c470b304bbc6e15c64bdc95749920e94d67e)
error: Unable to find 96ce007eb90e31d841287abdf781c3cfdaa80e4a under http://git.rtems.org/rtems
Cannot obtain needed tree 96ce007eb90e31d841287abdf781c3cfdaa80e4a
while processing commit 9604d8b03c4e791bbcdea2b0125787b8d0a5d5d9.
error: Fetch failed.

Jeff

(Continue reading)

Joel Sherrill | 29 Mar 21:29 2012

On 03/29/2012 01:37 PM, Cláudio Silva wrote:
> Hi Jeff,
>
> git clone http://git.rtems.org/rtems rtems works for me.
>
> There were some problems earlier today in the RTEMS git repository.
> You probably tried to clone when those issues were being solved by
> Joel and therefore you got cloning errors.
> Please try again. It should work.
FWIW cloning via http seems very slow even being on the
same local network as the rtems.org. It doesn't give much
feedback at all and "poof" it is done and there is code.

--joel

> Regards,
> Cláudio
>
> On Thu, Mar 29, 2012 at 7:13 PM, Hill, Jeffrey O<johill@...>  wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am attempting to use the RTEMS git repository but the following recommended command doesn't work.
>>
>>> git clone git://git.rtems.org/rtems.git rtems
>> We have a corporate firewall here so it appears that I am forced to use one of the following commands
instead (emphasis on http) after configuring the proper http proxy in git, but neither of these attempts
are successful. There is an "rtems" but not an "rtems.git" at http://git.rtems.org/.

>> clone http://git.rtems.org/rtems.git rtems
>> clone http://git.rtems.org/rtems rtems
(Continue reading)

Hill, Jeffrey O | 30 Mar 17:58 2012

rtems git readonly access behind corporate firewall

Thanks Joao (and everyone else for their answers),

I just now sent a request for a port 9418 firewall exception to the IT department here.

However, I read that modern git should work fine over http so I suspect that this “warning: remote HEAD refers to nonexistent ref, unable to checkout" might be a clue concerning what might be wrong (with the http based access).

Note that there can be two different ways to start the git clone.