James Carlson | 3 Nov 14:34 2008
Picon

Re: IPMP active-active with Link-Based (failure detection)?

shay writes:
> Is it posible to configure IPMP active-active with Link-Based ?
> Or the only way to do IPMP Active-Active is using Probe-Based?

Active-active should work fine with link-based.

The only difference between the two (link-based and probe-based) is
whether test addresses are configured and probe targets exist.

> in order to configure IPMP active-standby with link-Based the file configuration should be :
> /etc/hostname.bge1:
> twilight group ipmp0 up
>
> /etc/hostname.bge2:
> group ipmp0 up

That's not an active-standby configuration.  That's active-active.
Setting up a standby interface involves setting the "standby" flag on
at least one interface.  See:

  http://docs.sun.com/app/docs/doc/816-4554/eobra?a=view

(I'm not sure how stable references into the docs are ... if that link
goes bad, then look at the "IPMP Interface Configurations" portion of
the overview in the IPMP chapter.)

> What should be the file configuration in order to do Link-based active-active?

The above is already active-active.  You might want to configure a
second data address (on bge2) in order to enable inbound load
(Continue reading)

shay | 3 Nov 15:44 2008
Picon

Re: IPMP active-active with Link-Based (failure detection)?

if this is a active-active configuration:
> /etc/hostname.bge1:
> twilight group ipmp0 up
>
> /etc/hostname.bge2:
> group ipmp0 up

[u]how do I check if it's really active active stat?[/u]
I run "snoop -d bge1", and I saw traffic on it,
But running "snoop -d bge2" at the same time , I didn't saw any traffic.

Only when I run "if_mpadm -d bge1", the snoop -d bge1 didn't show traffic, and the "snoop -d bge2" show the traffic.

That is why I thought that this configuration is Active-StandBy.

[u]As I understand the following configuration must be Link-based Active-StandBy :[/u]
/etc/hostname.bge1:
twilight netmask + broadcast + group ipmp0 up

/etc/hostname.bge2:
deprecated group ipmp0 standby up

James Carlson | 3 Nov 15:54 2008

shay writes:
> if this is a active-active configuration:
> > /etc/hostname.bge1:
> > twilight group ipmp0 up
> >
> > /etc/hostname.bge2:
> > group ipmp0 up
>
> [u]how do I check if it's really active active stat?[/u]
> I run "snoop -d bge1", and I saw traffic on it,
> But running "snoop -d bge2" at the same time , I didn't saw any traffic.

If you don't seen any traffic at all when snooping the interface, then
I'd expect that you may have a network configuration problem.  IPMP
works at a level far above 'snoop', and it assumes that all of the
interfaces in the group are connected to the same Ethernet subnetwork
(broadcast domain).

You should at least see the same broadcast and multicast traffic on
all members of the group, if the network is wired up correctly.

> Only when I run "if_mpadm -d bge1", the snoop -d bge1 didn't show traffic, and the "snoop -d bge2" show the traffic.
>
> That is why I thought that this configuration is Active-StandBy.

No, it just means that you only have one data address.

> [u]As I understand the following configuration must be Link-based Active-StandBy :[/u]
> /etc/hostname.bge1:
> twilight netmask + broadcast + group ipmp0 up
(Continue reading)

shay | 3 Nov 20:52 2008
Picon

Re: IPMP active-active with Link-Based (failure detection)?

Thanks for your help...

>You should at least see the same broadcast and multicast traffic on
>all members of the group, if the network is wired up correctly.

I can see those broadcast and multicast traffic, but I didn't see any other traffic!

So How do I check that the ipmp work OK, in Active Active mode?

There is a need for the "deprecated" key in order to built Active-active ipmp like-based?

James Carlson | 3 Nov 21:05 2008

shay writes:
> Thanks for your help...
>
> >You should at least see the same broadcast and multicast traffic on
> >all members of the group, if the network is wired up correctly.
>
> I can see those broadcast and multicast traffic, but I didn't see any other traffic!

OK.

> So How do I check that the ipmp work OK, in Active Active mode?

It sounds like you just did.  There's nothing apparently wrong here.

However, if you're expecting load spreading to occur, then you're
going to need to have more than one IP data address assigned.

> There is a need for the "deprecated" key in order to built Active-active ipmp like-based?

No.  "Deprecated" is a flag on the IP address assigned to the
interface.  There's more information about it in the ifconfig(1M) man
page.

"Deprecated" is usually used with test addresses ("nofailover") for
probe-based detection.

James Carlson, Solaris Networking              <james.d.carlson@...>

Peter Memishian | 3 Nov 22:43 2008
Picon

Re: IPMP active-active with Link-Based (failure detection)?

 > However, if you're expecting load spreading to occur, then you're
 > going to need to have more than one IP data address assigned.

To expand on what Jim said: for inbound load spreading, you need multiple
local IP addresses.  For outbound load spreading, you need to connect to
different IP addresses (for now; IP Datapath Refactoring will likely allow
us to do outbound load-spreading on a per-connection basis).

meem
shay | 4 Nov 06:21 2008
Picon

Re: IPMP active-active with Link-Based (failure detection)?

>To expand on what Jim said: for inbound load spreading, you need multiple
>local IP addresses. For outbound load spreading, you need to connect to
>different IP addresses (for now; IP Datapath Refactoring will likely allow
>us to do outbound load-spreading on a per-connection basis).

How do I check if the [b]inbound[/b] load spreading is working properly?
How do I check if the [b]outbound[/b] load spreading is working properly?

shay | 4 Nov 06:19 2008
Picon

Re: IPMP active-active with Link-Based (failure detection)?

Thanks u for the quick answers.

> However, if you're expecting load spreading to occur,
> then you're going to need to have more than one IP data address
> assigned.

How do I configure IPMP that is :
Link-based, active-active ,two nics(e.g bge0\1), one IP AND load spreading which means that both
nics(bge0\1) should spread the load of the traffic(load balancing)?
How is the configuration files should look like?

James Carlson | 7 Nov 22:34 2008

shay writes:
> How do I configure IPMP that is :
> Link-based, active-active ,two nics(e.g bge0\1), one IP AND load spreading which means that both
nics(bge0\1) should spread the load of the traffic(load balancing)?

You don't.  Load balancing inbound traffic with IPMP requires the use
of multiple IP addresses.  You can't do it with just one IP address.

For outbound traffic, we'll do load balancing on a per-destination
address basis.  This means that for each remote IP address, we pick a
single output link to use.

If you need finer granularity, then you'll need either 802.3ad or need
to wait for better Solaris kernel support for ECMP-like behavior.  (Or
implement the changes yourself ...)

shay writes:
> >To expand on what Jim said: for inbound load spreading, you need multiple
> >local IP addresses. For outbound load spreading, you need to connect to
> >different IP addresses (for now; IP Datapath Refactoring will likely allow
> >us to do outbound load-spreading on a per-connection basis).
>
> How do I check if the [b]inbound[/b] load spreading is working properly?

There are probably multiple ways to do this.  One is to use "netstat
-ni" to see that you've got non-trivial amounts of traffic on both
links.  Another would be to snoop each link to see what unicast
traffic appears there.

> How do I check if the [b]outbound[/b] load spreading is working properly?
(Continue reading)

shay | 8 Nov 10:16 2008
Picon

Re: IPMP active-active with Link-Based (failure detection)?

So configuring IPMP like this :
/etc/hostname.bge1: twilight netmask + broadcast + group ipmp0 up
/etc/hostname.bge2: group ipmp0 up

will create IPMP by the following configuration:
1. Link-base (due to no test ip configured)
2. Without load-balancing for inbound (due to single ip configuration, which means that all remote server
will connect through the same nic)
3. With load-balancing for outbound ( for each remote IP address, ipmp will pick a single output link to use)

Peter Memishian | 8 Nov 10:20 2008
Picon

Re: IPMP active-active with Link-Based (failure detection)?

 > So configuring IPMP like this :
 > /etc/hostname.bge1: twilight netmask + broadcast + group ipmp0 up
 > /etc/hostname.bge2: group ipmp0 up
 >
 > will create IPMP by the following configuration:
 > 1. Link-base (due to no test ip configured)
 > 2. Without load-balancing for inbound (due to single ip configuration, which means that all remote
server will connect through the same nic)
 > 3. With load-balancing for outbound ( for each remote IP address, ipmp will pick a single output link to use)

Correct.

meem
shay | 8 Nov 17:40 2008
Picon

Re: IPMP active-active with Link-Based (failure detection)?

Thanks 4 your help.

And actually adding the key "standby" in the bge2 : "group ipmp0 standby up"
will configure the IPMP as like-based, Active-standby(without any inbound\outbound load-balancing).