Ray Van Dolson | 1 Oct 23:49 2010

ZFS disk space monitoring with SNMP

Hey folks;

Running on Solaris 10 U9 here.  How do most of you monitor disk usage /
capacity on your large zpools remotely via SNMP tools?

Net SNMP seems to be using a 32-bit unsigned integer (based on the MIB)
for hrStorageSize and friends, and thus we're not able to get accurate
numbers for sizes >2TB.

Looks like potentially later versions of Net-SNMP deal with this
(though I'm not sure on that), but the version of Net-SNMP with Solaris
10 is of course, not bleeding edge. :)

Thanks,
Ray
Volker A. Brandt | 2 Oct 00:00 2010
Picon

Re: ZFS disk space monitoring with SNMP

Hello Ray, hello list!

> Running on Solaris 10 U9 here.  How do most of you monitor disk usage /
> capacity on your large zpools remotely via SNMP tools?
>
> Net SNMP seems to be using a 32-bit unsigned integer (based on the MIB)
> for hrStorageSize and friends, and thus we're not able to get accurate
> numbers for sizes >2TB.
>
> Looks like potentially later versions of Net-SNMP deal with this
> (though I'm not sure on that), but the version of Net-SNMP with Solaris
> 10 is of course, not bleeding edge. :)

Sorry to be a lamer, but "me too"...

Has anyone integrated an SNMP-based ZFS monitoring with their
favorite management tool?  I am looking for disk usage warnings,
but I am also interested in "OFFLINE" messages, or nonzero values
for READ/WRITE/CKSUM errors.  Casual googling did not turn up anything
that looked promising.

There is an older ex-Sun download of an SNMP kit, but to be candid
I haven't really looked at it yet.

Thanks -- Volker

Volker A. Brandt                  Consulting and Support for Sun Solaris
Am Wiesenpfad 6, 53340 Meckenheim                     Email: vab <at> bb-c.de
(Continue reading)

Ray Van Dolson | 2 Oct 00:06 2010

On Fri, Oct 01, 2010 at 03:00:16PM -0700, Volker A. Brandt wrote:
> Hello Ray, hello list!
>

> > Running on Solaris 10 U9 here.  How do most of you monitor disk usage /
> > capacity on your large zpools remotely via SNMP tools?
> >
> > Net SNMP seems to be using a 32-bit unsigned integer (based on the MIB)
> > for hrStorageSize and friends, and thus we're not able to get accurate
> > numbers for sizes >2TB.
> >
> > Looks like potentially later versions of Net-SNMP deal with this
> > (though I'm not sure on that), but the version of Net-SNMP with Solaris
> > 10 is of course, not bleeding edge. :)
>
> Sorry to be a lamer, but "me too"...
>
> Has anyone integrated an SNMP-based ZFS monitoring with their
> favorite management tool?  I am looking for disk usage warnings,
> but I am also interested in "OFFLINE" messages, or nonzero values
> for READ/WRITE/CKSUM errors.  Casual googling did not turn up anything
> that looked promising.
>
> There is an older ex-Sun download of an SNMP kit, but to be candid
> I haven't really looked at it yet.

Note that I'm sure we could extend Net-SNMP and configure a custom OID
to gather and present the information we're interested in.

Totally willing to go that route and standardize on it here, but am
(Continue reading)

Dave | 3 Oct 01:14 2010
Picon

Re: ZFS disk space monitoring with SNMP

I just query for the percentage in use via snmp (net-snmp)

In my snmpd.conf I have:
extend .1.3.6.1.4.1.2021.60 drive15 /usr/gnu/bin/sh /opt/utils/zpools.ksh rpool space

and the zpools.ksh is:

#!/bin/ksh
export PATH=/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib
zpool list -H -o capacity ${1} | sed -e 's/%//g'