John D Groenveld | 29 Mar 08:26 2012
Picon

Adobe Flash Player 11.2.202.223

Heads upfrom Adobe's Updater for Microstupid, new Flash plugin:
<URL:http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/>
<URL:http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/>

Tested against Chuck Rozwat and company's MOS with Firefox 11.

John
groenveld <at> acm.org

palowoda | 29 Mar 12:37 2012
Picon

Re: Adobe Flash Player 11.2.202.223

--- In solarisx86 <at> yahoogroups.com, John D Groenveld <jdg117 <at> ...> wrote:

> Heads upfrom Adobe's Updater for Microstupid, new Flash plugin:
> <URL:http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/>
> <URL:http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/>
>
> Tested against Chuck Rozwat and company's MOS with Firefox 11.

Kind of interesting that Adobe announced that flash was going to be discontinued for Linux firefox but not
Solaris or Windows. What is with that stagey?

---Bob

Chris Ridd | 29 Mar 12:45 2012

Re: Re: Adobe Flash Player 11.2.202.223

On 29/03/2012 11:37, palowoda wrote:

> --- In solarisx86 <at> yahoogroups.com <mailto:solarisx86%40yahoogroups.com>,
> John D Groenveld <jdg117 <at> ...> wrote:
>  >
>  > Heads upfrom Adobe's Updater for Microstupid, new Flash plugin:
>  > <URL:http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/>
>  > <URL:http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/>
>  >
>  > Tested against Chuck Rozwat and company's MOS with Firefox 11.
>  >

> Kind of interesting that Adobe announced that flash was going to be
> discontinued for Linux firefox but not Solaris or Windows. What is with
> that stagey?

Money talks, probably. Oracle pays Adobe to provide it for Solaris.

I wonder how they intend for OEL users to access Oracle support?

Chris

John D Groenveld | 29 Mar 21:16 2012
Picon

In message <4F743D32.1050504 <at> isode.com>, Chris Ridd writes:
>I wonder how they intend for OEL users to access Oracle support?

Chuck Rozwat and company's MOS is moving to a non-Flash interface.
If you visit SupportHTML.Oracle.COM you can preview it.

John
groenveld <at> acm.org

Brian Richman | 30 Mar 02:31 2012
Picon

Re: Re: Adobe Flash Player 11.2.202.223

>Chuck Rozwat and company's MOS is moving to a non-Flash interface.

It works just fine, but not as "snappy" feeling as an HTML interface should be.

Must be that database behind it all.

(I just had to say that, made me smile).

John Martin | 29 Mar 12:48 2012
Picon

On 03/29/12 06:37, palowoda wrote:

> --- In solarisx86 <at> yahoogroups.com <mailto:solarisx86%40yahoogroups.com>,
> John D Groenveld <jdg117 <at> ...> wrote:
>  >
>  > Heads upfrom Adobe's Updater for Microstupid, new Flash plugin:
>  > <URL:http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/>
>  > <URL:http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/>
>  >
>  > Tested against Chuck Rozwat and company's MOS with Firefox 11.
>  >

> Kind of interesting that Adobe announced that flash was going to be
> discontinued for Linux firefox but not Solaris or Windows. What is with
> that stagey?

Adobe's statement is here:

http://blogs.adobe.com/flashplayer/2012/02/adobe-and-google-partnering-for-flash-player-on-linux.html

Bob Friesenhahn | 29 Mar 16:25 2012

On Thu, 29 Mar 2012, palowoda wrote:

> Kind of interesting that Adobe announced that flash was going to be
> discontinued for Linux firefox but not Solaris or Windows. What is
> with that stagey?

Solaris barely registers on Adobe's meter.  The Solaris Flash plugin
is based on the Linux Flash plugin code.  Probably it falls into the 5
year support bracket.

When I went to install Adobe Acrobat on a Windows system (a
space-concious virtual machine installation), I was surprised that the
installer also parallel installed Google Chrome without even notifying
that it was going to do that.  Adobe and Google are clearly already in
bed together.

Due to the outright rejection of Flash in Apple's iOS, the extreme
growth of resource-conscious smart phones, and the emergence of HTML
5, Flash's days (as a plugin) were already numbered.

Bob

Bob Friesenhahn
bfriesen <at> simple.dallas.tx.us, http://www.simplesystems.org/users/bfriesen/

John Martin | 29 Mar 18:00 2012
Picon

On 03/29/12 10:25, Bob Friesenhahn wrote:

> Solaris barely registers on Adobe's meter.

By what metric?

One of the hazards of bundling this kind of software
with the Solaris is the download count at their web site
will be low compared to other OSes which don't bundle.

Bob Friesenhahn | 29 Mar 18:20 2012

On Thu, 29 Mar 2012, John Martin wrote:

> On 03/29/12 10:25, Bob Friesenhahn wrote:
>
>> Solaris barely registers on Adobe's meter.
>
> By what metric?

By the percentage of Flash users who are using Solaris (about 0.01%).

   http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_os.asp

   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_share_of_operating_systems

   http://www.netmarketshare.com/os-market-share.aspx?qprid=9

   http://stats.wikimedia.org/wikimedia/squids/SquidReportOperatingSystems.htm

> One of the hazards of bundling this kind of software
> with the Solaris is the download count at their web site
> will be low compared to other OSes which don't bundle.

Yes, of course.  However, even Linux users barely register in the
OS wars (somewhere around 5%, or less).

Microsoft Windows still seems to command 85% of the user base (and is
declining!).

Bob

Brian Richman | 29 Mar 19:11 2012
Picon

Re: Re: Adobe Flash Player 11.2.202.223

>> Solaris barely registers on Adobe's meter.

>By what metric?

Adobes... 100% of Solaris users = what percentage of Adobe users? Less than 1%?