Ken Mandelberg | 15 Jul 22:52 2013

Re: Goodby Sun Ray ..

We have 100 physical Sunrays (1's, 2's and 3's). I would be interested
in moving to thinlinc except for the hardware investment in clients.

I wonder if something cheap would work like a Raspberry Pi? It
apparently fast enough to run XBMC at 1080P.
Jens Langner | 15 Jul 23:41 2013
Picon

Re: Goodby Sun Ray ..

Hi Ken,

Am 15.07.2013 um 22:52 schrieb Ken Mandelberg <km <at> mathcs.emory.edu>:

> We have 100 physical Sunrays (1's, 2's and 3's). I would be interested in moving to thinlinc except for the
hardware investment in clients.

> I wonder if something cheap would work like a Raspberry Pi? It apparently fast enough to run XBMC at 1080P.

We actually investigated that possibility here in our institute (~120 SunRays) and in our experience the
Raspberry Pi is simply to underpowered to deal with the necessary load ThinLinc&Co produce. In addition,
it doesn't support dual head displays.

As a net result of our evaluation we are currently nevertheless in the progress of replacing all our SunRays
with intel NUC
(http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/motherboards/desktop-motherboards/nuc.html) based
systems (Celeron-based version costs ~150,- EUR) for which we adapted the free Linux-based
"thinstation" ThinClient Operating system (PXE boot) and are using ThinLinc to connect to our
Linux-based servers. Our current plan is to have all our SunRays replaced by the beginning of 2014.

The good thing with ThinLinc is also that there are Solaris clients which you can use in a SunRay
environment; so we are currently switching over users step by step as we buy more and more NUC systems.

best regards,
jens

Dr. Jens Langner
Helmholtz-Zentrum Dresden-Rossendorf
Institute of Radiopharmaceutical Cancer Research
Department of Positron Emission Tomography
(Continue reading)

Garry Taylor | 15 Jul 23:47 2013
Picon

Re: Goodby Sun Ray ..

If a Raspberry Pi is not quite fast enough, perhaps a Beagleboard or Pandaboard may be?

--
Dr. Jens Langner
Helmholtz-Zentrum Dresden-Rossendorf
Institute of Radiopharmaceutical Cancer Research
Department of Positron Emission Tomography
POB 51 01 19, 01314 Dresden, Germany
http://www.hzdr.de/ | +49 351 260 2757

Vorstand: Prof. Dr. Dr. h. c. Roland Sauerbrey
Prof. Dr. Dr. h. c. Peter Joehnk
VR 1693 beim Amtsgericht Dresden

Francois Dion | 16 Jul 03:29 2013
Picon

Re: Goodby Sun Ray ..

It's not the cpu the real problem. X is not accelerated. The GPU could accelerate this some, but the efforts have stalled. Framebuffer VNC is plenty fast, but you are limited to 1080p, so no driving a 27"...

Francois
--
www.pyptug.org  -  raspberry-python.blogspot.com  -  <at> f_dion

If a Raspberry Pi is not quite fast enough, perhaps a Beagleboard or Pandaboard may be?

On Mon, Jul 15, 2013 at 10:41 PM, Jens Langner <j.langner <at> hzdr.de> wrote:
Hi Ken,

Am 15.07.2013 um 22:52 schrieb Ken Mandelberg <km <at> mathcs.emory.edu>:

> We have 100 physical Sunrays (1's, 2's and 3's). I would be interested in moving to thinlinc except for the hardware investment in clients.
>
> I wonder if something cheap would work like a Raspberry Pi? It apparently fast enough to run XBMC at 1080P.

We actually investigated that possibility here in our institute (~120 SunRays) and in our experience the Raspberry Pi is simply to underpowered to deal with the necessary load ThinLinc&Co produce. In addition, it doesn't support dual head displays.

As a net result of our evaluation we are currently nevertheless in the progress of replacing all our SunRays with intel NUC (http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/motherboards/desktop-motherboards/nuc.html) based systems (Celeron-based version costs ~150,- EUR) for which we adapted the free Linux-based "thinstation" ThinClient Operating system (PXE boot) and are using ThinLinc to connect to our Linux-based servers. Our current plan is to have all our SunRays replaced by the beginning of 2014.

The good thing with ThinLinc is also that there are Solaris clients which you can use in a SunRay environment; so we are currently switching over users step by step as we buy more and more NUC systems.

best regards,
jens
--
Dr. Jens Langner
Helmholtz-Zentrum Dresden-Rossendorf
Institute of Radiopharmaceutical Cancer Research
Department of Positron Emission Tomography
POB 51 01 19, 01314 Dresden, Germany
http://www.hzdr.de/ | +49 351 260 2757

Vorstand: Prof. Dr. Dr. h. c. Roland Sauerbrey
Prof. Dr. Dr. h. c. Peter Joehnk
VR 1693 beim Amtsgericht Dresden

Leigh Porter | 16 Jul 17:22 2013

Re: Goodby Sun Ray ..

On 15 Jul 2013, at 22:00, "Ken Mandelberg" <km <at> mathcs.emory.edu> wrote:

> We have 100 physical Sunrays (1's, 2's and 3's). I would be interested
> in moving to thinlinc except for the hardware investment in clients.
>
> I wonder if something cheap would work like a Raspberry Pi? It
> apparently fast enough to

The beaglebone is actually nicer, faster, and built in flash.

Something based around that would be great.

What is nice about the rays is they are (almost) plug and play, it's a standard hardware platform and it works
and its pretty decent user experience.

--
Leigh

niki.waibel@gmx.net | 16 Jul 22:19 2013

Re: Goodby Sun Ray ..

The 'not so well known' cubieboard2 can do 2160p or 1080p/3d. cpu is a allwinner a20 (arm dual core), gpu is a
dual core mali. It comes with a HDMI out.

I got one for about 60 euro.

rgds