Re: visibility of addresses [was: Re: Parliment approves ...]
George Pearson <george@...
2012-06-30 21:39:33 GMT
To figure out what's going on between full addresses appearing or
disguised addresses, Bob and I need to know several things:
1. where people are seeing the full addresses ("From" line,
quoted sections, ...)
2. how the people who seeing the problem are READING messages.
There are at least five ways to read canals-list messages:
- text-format email
- "fully featured" email
- reading messages on the yahoo website
- digest email from yahoo
- reading messages via "news"
3. how the messages exhibiting the problem were posted - email,
website, or news. (Once the messages in question have been identified,
the posting method can usually be determined from the message headers.)
Finally, it seems to me that this problem is only serious if
the addresses appear on the yahoo website, because then a temporary
subscriber could "scrape" the addresses for spamming purposes.
(Email and digest subscribers can always see the poster's full
address in the "From:" line, but one-message-at-a-time scraping
is not worth a spammers effort.) I ordinarily read the messages
by email, but I've checked a bunch on the website and haven't