ncsailors | 19 Jul 19:28 2007
Picon

Re: Can't Program the TH-F6?

Jerry -

I did what you suggested - and it says that the USB-to-Serial
is set up for COM5.

My laptop, Compaq, has 3 USB ports; 1 for printer, 1 for
mouse, and the 3rd spare.  I hooked the USB-to-Serial
cable to this third USB connector.  I'm hoping my windows
XP knows this 3rd USB connector, as "com5".

I then did the "menu 9, set to PC" thing, and then took
radio out of menu mode.  Turned off F6 HT, connected
HT cable(s) to PC.  Brought up Kenwood's HT F6/F7 program,
and then turned on F6A HT.

I haven't the foggiest YET, of  how to use this Kenwood
programming program.  But if I try to do something simple,
like change the HELLO sign-on message to "N3CSY", and then
write it out to the radio - it continually comes back with:

   "The Radio is invalid.  Please check & try again"

Fred
N3CSY

--- In TH-F6A@..., "Jerry W" <k0hzi.mn <at> ...> wrote:

> Fred,
>
> Open Control Panel, System, select Hardware tab, Device Manager,
(Continue reading)

Alex and LaNell | 19 Jul 19:45 2007
Picon

RE: Re: Can't Program the TH-F6?

Have you tried to read the radio. ? Other brands require you to read first, usually not Kenwood. If you can not read it, then would think your pc is to fast for software. Just a guess, and I have not read all the post on your problem, to busy trying to catch up with business. Good luck. IF all else fails e mail direct and we can play with some different ideals. I have two and love them. Also might try reloading the software, but you have to take original off, turn off pc and then back on and reload it.

73 Alex

Kr6g-WYrOkVUspZo@public.gmane.org

Kenwood Vertex 2 way sales and service

Quincy, Calif95971

530-281-6411

__._,_.___

__,_._,___
Jerry W | 19 Jul 20:23 2007
Picon

Re: Can't Program the TH-F6?

Fred,

When you open MCP-F6 program what port is indicated by clicking on
"Radio" > "Port Select"?  You can change the port by clicking on Com 5
if that is what the computer thinks the port is.

Jerry  - K0HZI

--- In TH-F6A@..., "ncsailors" <ncsailors <at> ...> wrote:

> Jerry -
>
> I did what you suggested - and it says that the USB-to-Serial
> is set up for COM5.

In Control Panel settings

> My laptop, Compaq, has 3 USB ports; 1 for printer, 1 for
> mouse, and the 3rd spare.  I hooked the USB-to-Serial
> cable to this third USB connector.  I'm hoping my windows
> XP knows this 3rd USB connector, as "com5".
>
> I then did the "menu 9, set to PC" thing, and then took
> radio out of menu mode.  Turned off F6 HT, connected
> HT cable(s) to PC.  Brought up Kenwood's HT F6/F7 program,
> and then turned on F6A HT.
>
> I haven't the foggiest YET, of  how to use this Kenwood
> programming program.  But if I try to do something simple,
> like change the HELLO sign-on message to "N3CSY", and then
> write it out to the radio - it continually comes back with:
>
>    "The Radio is invalid.  Please check & try again"
>
> Fred
> N3CSY

Scott Barto | 19 Jul 20:27 2007
Picon

Re: Re: Can't Program the TH-F6?

So just select Com 5 in the Kenwood software program, and proceed as per directions.

73
Scott
KB2KOL

--- In TH-F6A <at> yahoogroups.com, "Jerry W" <k0hzi.mn <at> ...> wrote:

> Fred,
>
> Open Control Panel, System, select Hardware tab, Device Manager,
Ports
> (Com & LPT)
> The USB to serial converter should be listed. Right click in the
USB
> device, Properties, Port Setting tab, Advanced, see what Com port it
> is set for, you can chose a com port as long as it not in use by
> another device. usually defaults to an unused port setting.
> Good luck
>
> Jerry - K0HZI
>

> On 7/19/07, ncsailors <ncsailors <at> ...> wrote:
> > So far I am unable to get Kenwood's TH-F6A program to
> > interface with my new F6A?
> >
> > I have the PG-4Y Programming Cable, and a USB-to-Serial
> > cable (& drivers). According to Kenwood's instructions,
> > I set MENU 9 to PC, and then went back to normal mode
> > and turned F6A off. Plugged USB serial cable into my laptop
> > USB port.
> >
> > I'm not sure what COM PORT either the USB Serial driver thinks
> > it's working at, or which COM PORT the Kenwood software wants.
> > My Laptop Compaq PC has no built-in serial port, but at least
> > 3 USB ports (1 for mouse, 1 for HP printer)
> >
> > When I try to do my first read or write from PC to F6A, I
> > get back a "wrong radio" message. One time I got back a
> > "wrong port" message too.

> > HELP
> > Fred, N3CSY

Gmane