shalom72khs | 20 Mar 03:12 2012

software issues

I am trying to get my factory kenwood software to work. I plug my kenwood th-f6a in with the usb cable . I Keep
getting a device cannot start error message in my device manager . What Am I doing wrong ?? I am using win 7
64bit home premium .
will c.

------------------------------------

Urantian | 20 Mar 04:20 2012
Picon

Re: software issues

Hi Will,

Have you set menu #9 (SP/MIC JACK) to "PC"?  If yes, do you have the necessary driver installed for your USB cable?

---Michael, NO6O

--- In TH-F6A@..., "shalom72khs" <shalom72c <at> ...> wrote:

> I am trying to get my factory kenwood software to work. I plug my kenwood th-f6a in with the usb cable . I Keep
getting a device cannot start error message in my device manager . What Am I doing wrong ?? I am using win 7
64bit home premium .
> will c.

------------------------------------

swatmanb | 21 Mar 03:20 2012
Picon

Re: software issues

It does sound like a windows driver issue. If you plug the cable into the computer (just the cable) do you get
this error? If so it would indicate a likely PC driver issues.
What PC OS (Win7 XP or)?  What cable?  What drivers have you installed?

Just a few days back is another thread with similar info that may help you.

--- In TH-F6A@..., "Urantian" <oneurantian <at> ...> wrote:

> Hi Will,
>
> Have you set menu #9 (SP/MIC JACK) to "PC"?  If yes, do you have the necessary driver installed for your USB cable?
>
> ---Michael, NO6O
>

> --- In TH-F6A@..., "shalom72khs" <shalom72c <at> > wrote:
> >
> > I am trying to get my factory kenwood software to work. I plug my kenwood th-f6a in with the usb cable . I Keep
getting a device cannot start error message in my device manager . What Am I doing wrong ?? I am using win 7
64bit home premium .
> > will c.

------------------------------------

Matt Fisher | 20 Mar 04:25 2012

Re: Re: software issues

Selecting the correct com port is also critical on my windows machine.  No matter how many times I've connected the two it is still a pain for me!

Matt
KC9UII

--- In TH-F6A-hHKSG33TihhbjbujkaE4pw@public.gmane.org, "shalom72khs" <shalom72c <at> ...> wrote:

> I am trying to get my factory kenwood software to work. I plug my kenwood th-f6a in with the usb cable . I Keep getting a device cannot start error message in my device manager . What Am I doing wrong ?? I am using win 7 64bit home premium .
> will c.

__._,_.___

__,_._,___
Jacobson Al | 24 Mar 16:07 2012
Picon

Re: Re: software issues

This is from the Kenwood support page:

TH-F6A / TH-F7A / TH-F7E
Memory Control Program
MCP-F6/F7 Version 1.00
Welcome
Thank you for choosing the KENWOOD TH-F6/ F7 transceivers.
By utilizing this software, you can enjoy the versatility of the TH-F6/ F7 transceivers through the memory channel management and edit functions. If you do not agree with the details listed herein, please do not download the MCP-F6/F7 software.
This software runs on Windows® 98, Windows® Me, Windows® 2000 (SP3 or later) or Windows® XP (SP1 or later) operating system

Notice that the above says nothing about Windows 7. However, I am running the software on Windows 7 32 bit with no problems. My guess is the software is not compatible with Windows 7 in 64 bit. Keep in mind the MCP program was developed in 2003 and I don't think they have ever updated the darn thing. Thus, my guess is the code just does not know how to work with 64 bit device drivers. You may want to try running the software in compatibility mode for XP. You can do this by going to the MCP_F6F7 file in the Kenwood folder in the Program Files folder of your primary drive (normally C:) and right clicking on the MCP_F6F7 file. Click on the Compatibility tab and then click on the box that says "Run this program in compatibility mode for:". Then use the pull-down to select the OS you want to run in. This is not a guarantee, but it might just work.

By the way. If you can't get it to work take a look at this page where you can download a 64 bit spreadsheet that allows you to program the THF-6A. Note: I have not tried this spreadsheet.

Al Jacobson
K4ALJ

--- In TH-F6A <at> yahoogroups.com, "shalom72khs" <shalom72c <at> ...> wrote:

> I am trying to get my factory kenwood software to work. I plug my kenwood th-f6a in with the usb cable . I Keep getting a device cannot start error message in my device manager . What Am I doing wrong ?? I am using win 7 64bit home premium .
> will c.

__._,_.___

__,_._,___
Darrell | 24 Mar 19:59 2012

Re: software issues

Hi all, MCP-f6/f7 Ver. 1.0 is compatable with Windows 7 (64-bit). I've been using it for over a year now with
no issues.

73's
Darrell (N4ZDX)

<TH-F6A@...>
> Sent: Monday, March 19, 2012 11:25 PM
> Subject: Re: [TH-F6A] Re: software issues
>

> Selecting the correct com port is also critical on my windows machine.  No matter how many times I've
connected the two it is still a pain for me!

> Matt
> KC9UII
>

> On Mar 19, 2012, at 23:20, "Urantian" <oneurantian <at> ...> wrote:
>

> >Hi Will,
> >
> >Have you set menu #9 (SP/MIC JACK) to "PC"?  If yes, do you have the necessary driver installed for your USB cable?
> >
> >---Michael, NO6O
> >
> >--- In TH-F6A@..., "shalom72khs" <shalom72c <at> > wrote:
> >>
> >> I am trying to get my factory kenwood software to work. I plug my kenwood th-f6a in with the usb cable . I
Keep getting a device cannot start error message in my device manager . What Am I doing wrong ?? I am using win
7 64bit home premium .
> >> will c.

------------------------------------

Jacobson Al | 25 Mar 15:51 2012
Picon

Re: Re: software issues

Based on Darrell's comments one begins to suspect a configuration problem on the user's system. Make sure you have administrator privileges when installing the application and try using Com3 or COM8. If that does not work consider deleting COM3 and then redefining it.

Al Jacobson
K4ALJ

--- In TH-F6A <at> yahoogroups.com, Jacobson Al <awjacobson <at> ...> wrote:

> This is from the Kenwood support page:
>  TH-F6A / TH-F7A / TH-F7E
> Memory Control
> Program
> MCP-F6/F7 Version 1.00
> Welcome
> Thank you for choosing the KENWOOD TH-F6/ F7 transceivers.
> By utilizing
> this software, you can enjoy the versatility of the TH-F6/ F7 transceivers
> through the memory channel management and edit functions. If you do not agree
> with the details listed herein, please do not download the MCP-F6/F7
> software.
> This software runs on Windows® 98, Windows® Me, Windows® 2000 (SP3 or later) or Windows® XP (SP1 or
> later) operating system
>
> Notice that the above says nothing about Windows 7. However, I am running the software on Windows 7 32 bit with no problems. My guess is the software is not compatible with Windows 7 in 64 bit. Keep in mind the MCP program was developed in 2003 and I don't think they have ever updated the darn thing. Thus, my guess is the code just does not know how to work with 64 bit device drivers. You may want to try running the software in compatibility mode for XP. You can do this by going to the MCP_F6F7 file in the Kenwood folder in the Program Files folder of your primary drive (normally C:) and right clicking on the MCP_F6F7 file. Click on the Compatibility tab and then click on the box that says "Run this program in compatibility mode for:". Then use the pull-down to select the OS you want to run in. This is not a guarantee, but it might just work.
>
> By the way. If you can't get it to work take a look at this page where you can download a 64 bit spreadsheet that allows you to program the THF-6A. Note: I have not tried this spreadsheet.
>
> http://home.comcast.net/~k9dci/site/?/page/Amateur_Radio_Control/
>

> Al Jacobson
> K4ALJ
>

> ________________________________

__._,_.___

__,_._,___
shalom72khs | 27 Mar 08:53 2012

Re: software issues

I need to clarify my issue : I can't get the d <at> #$ usb programing cable to work with my win 7 64bit laaptop. I keep
getting a "item can't start" in the device manager after trying to install drivers. I have it ( usb
programing cable) working on 2 other laptops running xp and vista but can't get it working on my win 7 64bit
laptop. The actual kenwood software works fine . It's just the usb cable not working.
will

--- In TH-F6A@..., Jacobson Al <awjacobson <at> ...> wrote:

> Based on Darrell's comments one begins to suspect a configuration problem on the user's system. Make
sure you have administrator privileges when installing the application and try using Com3 or COM8. If
that does not work consider deleting COM3 and then redefining it.

> Al Jacobson
> K4ALJ
>

> ________________________________

------------------------------------

Dave Cole | 1 Apr 08:04 2012
Picon

Re: Re: software issues

Bad drivers!
-- Thanks, Dave http://www.nk7z.net for equipment reviews, propagation, and more... I can melt ice with my mind...  Takes a few minutes though...

On Tue, 2012-03-27 at 06:53 +0000, shalom72khs wrote:
I need to clarify my issue : I can't get the d <at> #$ usb programing cable to work with my win 7 64bit laaptop. I keep getting a "item can't start" in the device manager after trying to install drivers. I have it ( usb programing cable) working on 2 other laptops running xp and vista but can't get it working on my win 7 64bit laptop. The actual kenwood software works fine . It's just the usb cable not working. will --- In TH-F6A-hHKSG33TihhbjbujkaE4pw@public.gmane.org, Jacobson Al <awjacobson <at> ...> wrote: > > Based on Darrell's comments one begins to suspect a configuration problem on the user's system. Make sure you have administrator privileges when installing the application and try using Com3 or COM8. If that does not work consider deleting COM3 and then redefining it. >   > Al Jacobson > K4ALJ > > > ________________________________ > From: Darrell <dmbeard <at> ...> > To: TH-F6A-hHKSG33TihhbjbujkaE4pw@public.gmane.org > Sent: Saturday, March 24, 2012 2:59 PM > Subject: [TH-F6A] Re: software issues > > > >   > > Hi all, MCP-f6/f7 Ver. 1.0 is compatable with Windows 7 (64-bit). I've been using it for over a year now with no issues. > > 73's > Darrell (N4ZDX) > > --- In TH-F6A-hHKSG33TihhbjbujkaE4pw@public.gmane.org, Jacobson Al <awjacobson <at> > wrote: > > > > This is from the Kenwood support page: > >  TH-F6A / TH-F7A / TH-F7E > > Memory Control > > Program > > MCP-F6/F7 Version 1.00 > > Welcome > > Thank you for choosing the KENWOOD TH-F6/ F7 transceivers. > > By utilizing > > this software, you can enjoy the versatility of the TH-F6/ F7 transceivers > > through the memory channel management and edit functions. If you do not agree > > with the details listed herein, please do not download the MCP-F6/F7 > > software. > > This software runs on Windows® 98, Windows® Me, Windows® 2000 (SP3 or later) or Windows® XP (SP1 or > > later) operating system > >   > > Notice that the above says nothing about Windows 7. However, I am running the software on Windows 7 32 bit with no problems. My guess is the software is not compatible with Windows 7 in 64 bit. Keep in mind the MCP program was developed in 2003 and I don't think they have ever updated the darn thing. Thus, my guess is the code just does not know how to work with 64 bit device drivers. You may want to try running the software in compatibility mode for XP. You can do this by going to the MCP_F6F7 file in the Kenwood folder in the Program Files folder of your primary drive (normally C:) and right clicking on the MCP_F6F7 file. Click on the Compatibility tab and then click on the box that says "Run this program in compatibility mode for:". Then use the pull-down to select the OS you want to run in. This is not a guarantee, but it might just work. > >   > > By the way. If you can't get it to work take a look at this page where you can download a 64 bit spreadsheet that allows you to program the THF-6A. Note: I have not tried this spreadsheet. > >   > > http://home.comcast.net/~k9dci/site/?/page/Amateur_Radio_Control/ > >   > >   > > Al Jacobson > > K4ALJ > > > > > > ________________________________ > > From: Matt Fisher <mfisherbsu <at> > > > To: "TH-F6A-hHKSG33TihhbjbujkaE4pw@public.gmane.org" <TH-F6A-hHKSG33TihhbjbujkaE4pw@public.gmane.org> > > Sent: Monday, March 19, 2012 11:25 PM > > Subject: Re: [TH-F6A] Re: software issues > > > > > > > >   > > > > Selecting the correct com port is also critical on my windows machine.  No matter how many times I've connected the two it is still a pain for me! > > > > Matt > > KC9UII > > > > > > On Mar 19, 2012, at 23:20, "Urantian" <oneurantian <at> > wrote: > > > > > >   > > >Hi Will, > > > > > >Have you set menu #9 (SP/MIC JACK) to "PC"? If yes, do you have the necessary driver installed for your USB cable? > > > > > >---Michael, NO6O > > > > > >--- In TH-F6A-hHKSG33TihhbjbujkaE4pw@public.gmane.org, "shalom72khs" <shalom72c <at> > wrote: > > >> > > >> I am trying to get my factory kenwood software to work. I plug my kenwood th-f6a in with the usb cable . I Keep getting a device cannot start error message in my device manager . What Am I doing wrong ?? I am using win 7 64bit home premium . > > >> will c. > > >> > > > > > > > > > ------------------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Links <*> To visit your group on the web, go to: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TH-F6A/ <*> Your email settings: Individual Email | Traditional <*> To change settings online go to: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TH-F6A/join (Yahoo! ID required) <*> To change settings via email: TH-F6A-digest-hHKSG33TihhbjbujkaE4pw@public.gmane.org TH-F6A-fullfeatured-hHKSG33TihhbjbujkaE4pw@public.gmane.org <*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to: TH-F6A-unsubscribe-hHKSG33TihhbjbujkaE4pw@public.gmane.org <*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to: http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

__._,_.___

__,_._,___
David | 1 Apr 08:06 2012

RE: Re: software issues

There is a recent Windows 7 update to USB drivers and detects the “pirated” Prolific chipsets used in nearly all of the Chinese USB cables.  This update effectively broke every Chinese clone cable.  Is the error code a “10” when looking in Device Manager??  If so, that is your problem.  Check it out on Prolific’s web site.

Recommendation: buy a known good USB to serial adapter (MFJ sells one or look for something from FTDI).  Buy a SERIAL/RS-232 programming cable instead of the USB version.

Even better, buy the set from RT Systems and get the best right out the door – software and cable together.

David, K6DMA

I need to clarify my issue : I can't get the d <at> #$ usb programing cable to work with my win 7 64bit laaptop. I keep getting a "item can't start" in the device manager after trying to install drivers. I have it ( usb programing cable) working on 2 other laptops running xp and vista but can't get it working on my win 7 64bit laptop. The actual kenwood software works fine . It's just the usb cable not working.
will

--- In TH-F6A-hHKSG33TihhbjbujkaE4pw@public.gmane.org, Jacobson Al <awjacobson <at> ...> wrote:

> Based on Darrell's comments one begins to suspect a configuration problem on the user's system. Make sure you have administrator privileges when installing the application and try using Com3 or COM8. If that does not work consider deleting COM3 and then redefining it.
>
> Al Jacobson
> K4ALJ
>

> ________________________________

__._,_.___

__,_._,___
skarbows | 29 Mar 14:22 2012
Picon

Re: software issues

A real Kenwood interface cable or a Chinese one?  Saw something on  a Baofeng group about problems with win7
and some of the import cables.

--- In TH-F6A@..., "shalom72khs" <shalom72c <at> ...> wrote:

> I am trying to get my factory software to work. I plug my kenwood th-f6a in with the usb cable . I Keep getting a
device cannot start error message in my device manager . What Am I doing wrong ?? I am using win 7 64bit home
premium .
> will c.

------------------------------------

t g | 1 Apr 11:13 2012
Picon

Re: Re: software issues

Kenwood doesn't make the cable, and they'll happily let you know that.  I had to fool with the drivers too.

A real Kenwood interface cable or a Chinese one?  Saw something on  a Baofeng group about problems with win7 and some of the import cables.

--- In TH-F6A-hHKSG33TihhbjbujkaE4pw@public.gmane.org, "shalom72khs" <shalom72c <at> ...> wrote:

> I am trying to get my factory software to work. I plug my kenwood th-f6a in with the usb cable . I Keep getting a device cannot start error message in my device manager . What Am I doing wrong ?? I am using win 7 64bit home premium .
> will c.

<*> You r email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
    TH-F6A-digest-hHKSG33TihhbjbujkaE4pw@public.gmane.org
    TH-F6A-fullfeatured-hHKSG33TihhbjbujkaE4pw@public.gmane.org

    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

shalom72khs | 2 Apr 20:46 2012

Re: software issues: Used Wouxun USB Cable Drivers . It Worked !!

I was finally able to get the issue resolved . I decided to try the Wouxun program cable USB drivers for
Vista/Win7 off Wouxun USA's download page. It worked !! Since the same programing cable works with the
Wouxun HT's it was worth the try. Thats all for this thread please !  Thankyou to those who posted !

will c.