Luca de Alfaro | 4 Sep 19:27 2013

I WikiTrust no more

Apologies for the pun title, but the message is this:  I will no longer be maintaining the WikiTrust installation at UCSC.  If anyone is interested in the data provided by WikiTrust, I would be happy to mentor them in installing WikiTrust at their institution, or on their servers.

Keeping WikiTrust running at UCSC has been time consuming.  At UCSC, we have very frequent power interruptions, as well as disruptions of various kinds resulting from changes in our hosting space.  The hardware is also close to the end of life (indeed, some drives in the RAID for the German Wikipedia have failed).

I would have loved to give WikiTrust a stable home in the cloud; something like Google Appengine would be ideal.  However, this would cost several thousand dollars per month; the cloud is still expensive for intensive computation.

This is a somewhat sad decision for me, but I have only so much time and energy, and I need to put the energy in new research directions.  Again, if others are interested in the data WikiTrust produces, I would be happy to mentor them through an installation.

Luca de Alfaro
Aaron Halfaker | 4 Sep 19:31 2013
Picon

Re: I WikiTrust no more

I just want to suggest that, if you are looking for good cloud hosting for WikiTrust, Wikimedia Labs[1] seems to have been built for it.

This may be a good direction for you to go or a good direction for whoever picks up the WikiTrust torch.

-Aaron

1. https://wikitech.wikimedia.org/wiki/Main_Page

[...]

Luca de Alfaro | 4 Sep 19:45 2013

Re: I WikiTrust no more

I would certainly be very pleased to mentor people interested in installing WikiTrust on Wikimedia Labs.

Luca

[...]

Federico Leva (Nemo | 4 Sep 21:19 2013
Picon

Re: I WikiTrust no more

Luca de Alfaro, 04/09/2013 19:27:
> Apologies for the pun title, but the message is this:  I will no longer
> be maintaining the WikiTrust installation at UCSC.

Thanks for your continued support of the tool till now!

> If anyone is
> interested in the data provided by WikiTrust, I would be happy to mentor
> them in installing WikiTrust at their institution, or on their servers.

Can you archive the processed data on archive.org, or send a copy for
storage on dumps.wikimedia.org (the latter assuming WMF is interested
and able)?

Nemo