Axel Boldt | 1 Mar 15:20 2002
Picon

IP numbers on History pages?

Currently, we display full IP numbers on history pages. Is that a bug
or a feature? Looking at the code in special_recentchangeslayout.php, l.
91-100, it appears that the full IP (including last 3 digits) was put
in deliberately (or else I can't see the point of that code).

Axel

Brion L. VIBBER | 1 Mar 17:38 2002
Picon

Re: IP numbers on History pages?

On ven, 2002-03-01 at 06:20, Axel Boldt wrote:
> Currently, we display full IP numbers on history pages. Is that a bug
> or a feature? Looking at the code in special_recentchangeslayout.php, l.
> 91-100, it appears that the full IP (including last 3 digits) was put
> in deliberately (or else I can't see the point of that code).

I'm not the one wot did it, but the impression I seem to have from
earlier discussions is that this was done so that the full IP would be
available for Larry et al to ban vandals with.

Perhaps we should check that the current user has is_sysop and only then
show a full IP?

-- brion vibber (brion  <at>  pobox.com)

Larry Sanger | 1 Mar 17:51 2002

On 1 Mar 2002, Brion L. VIBBER wrote:

> On ven, 2002-03-01 at 06:20, Axel Boldt wrote:
> > Currently, we display full IP numbers on history pages. Is that a bug
> > or a feature? Looking at the code in special_recentchangeslayout.php, l.
> > 91-100, it appears that the full IP (including last 3 digits) was put
> > in deliberately (or else I can't see the point of that code).
>
> I'm not the one wot did it, but the impression I seem to have from
> earlier discussions is that this was done so that the full IP would be
> available for Larry et al to ban vandals with.

I didn't know that!  Maybe there's a way to do it without making the full
IP public?  (Like this cryptic "ban this IP" link I sometimes see, but
which I still don't quite understand...and dare not use...)

Gmane