NSK | 2 Feb 07:56 2005

Re: short URLs (really short, almost tiny)

On Wednesday 02 February 2005 08:24, DIG wrote:
> The short URL itself could be something like this:

The code that does this job exists and it is GPL, so it can be incorporated in
MW easily: The code lies in the Drupal CMS where every node can be accessed
via a number/code and optionally a full name (full URL).

Like this:

http://portal.wikinerds.org/node/183

or
http://portal.wikinerds.org/ivan-noble

NSK
http://portal.wikinerds.org/freehosting
DIG | 3 Feb 07:20 2005
Picon

On Wed, Feb 02, 2005 at 08:56:20AM +0200, NSK wrote:
> On Wednesday 02 February 2005 08:24, DIG wrote:
> > The short URL itself could be something like this:
>
> The code that does this job exists and it is GPL, so it can be
> incorporated in MW easily: The code lies in the Drupal CMS where
> every node can be accessed via a number/code and optionally a
> full name (full URL).

I am not familiar with drupal.  What is the mechanism they use for automatically generate shorten URLs and to
keep them consistent in time (we need to make sure that these short URL will live long enough, virtually forever)?

It could be some kind of hash of article's title.  This way it will be reasonably unique, and it can be kept in
the database.  Then, when the short URL is requested, the corresponding value substitutes the shorten URL.

Best regards,

DIG (Dmitri I GOULIAEV)
1024D/63A6C649: 26A0 E4D5 AB3F C2D4 0112  66CD 4343 C0AF 63A6 C649
Michael Keppler | 3 Feb 08:47 2005

DIG schrieb:
> It could be some kind of hash of article's title.  This way it will be reasonably unique, and it can be kept in
the database.  Then, when the short URL is requested, the corresponding value substitutes the shorten URL.

That wouldn't help when renaming/moving articles. To my mind the most
straightforward solution would be to access the article by it's database
id which is both short _and_ (project wise) unique. Naturally you need
some special syntax for that to avoid overlapping with articles that
have numerical titles.

Ciao, Michael.
DIG | 3 Feb 09:09 2005
Picon

On Thu, Feb 03, 2005 at 08:47:21AM +0100, Michael Keppler wrote:
> That wouldn't help when renaming/moving articles. To my mind the most
> straightforward solution would be to access the article by it's database
> id which is both short _and_ (project wise) unique. Naturally you need
> some special syntax for that to avoid overlapping with articles that
> have numerical titles.

If the article is renamed, and there is no redirection from old place -- then this article is gone.  So that's
OK, if short URL will be transformed into non-existent article (with the standard "Would you like to
create this article?" message).

The short URL should be associated with the name of article, not with its content.

Best regards,

DIG (Dmitri I GOULIAEV)
1024D/63A6C649: 26A0 E4D5 AB3F C2D4 0112  66CD 4343 C0AF 63A6 C649

Gmane