Rob Lanphier | 1 Dec 04:20 2011
Picon

Re: FileBackend branch

On Wed, Nov 30, 2011 at 5:51 PM, Aaron Schulz <aschulz4587 <at> gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm starting to finish the initial coding for the FileBackend branch (see
> https://svn.wikimedia.org/viewvc/mediawiki/branches/FileBackend). I still
> have to get to thumb.php and img_auth.php though. Simple testing of uploads,
> re-uploads, moves, deletes, restores, and such are working on my local
> testwiki.

Hi folks,

A few more details on this.  Aaron is trying to get some important
refactoring work done in service to this project:
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/SwiftMedia

We'd like to land this code in trunk as soon as we can, shake out the
inevitable bugs, and get this rolled out to the cluster as part of
1.19.  That will then make it possible for us to complete the
migration from NFS as our file storage tech to Swift.  That in turn
will enable us to greatly expand our file capacity on commons, as well
as making it so that we no longer have a scary single point of failure
for file storage on the Wikimedia cluster.

Rob
Russell Nelson | 1 Dec 05:54 2011
Picon

Re: FileBackend branch

On Wed, Nov 30, 2011 at 10:20 PM, Rob Lanphier <robla <at> wikimedia.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 30, 2011 at 5:51 PM, Aaron Schulz <aschulz4587 <at> gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > I'm starting to finish the initial coding for the FileBackend branch (see
> > https://svn.wikimedia.org/viewvc/mediawiki/branches/FileBackend). I
> still
> > have to get to thumb.php and img_auth.php though. Simple testing of
> uploads,
> > re-uploads, moves, deletes, restores, and such are working on my local
> > testwiki.

Did you test it using smtest.py ? It's a lot more persistent about testing
because it's a lot less distractable than any hu .... SQUIRREL!

> Hi folks,
>
> A few more details on this.  Aaron is trying to get some important
> refactoring work done in service to this project:
> http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/SwiftMedia
>
> We'd like to land this code in trunk as soon as we can, shake out the
> inevitable bugs, and get this rolled out to the cluster as part of
> 1.19.

I'm guessing that Aaron is coding using an IDE that displays abstract class
comments in line with the implementation, because the implementation class
has no comments on any of the methods. For those of us using dumber
(Continue reading)

Aaron Schulz | 1 Dec 19:04 2011
Picon

Re: FileBackend branch

I didn't copy them over so that I could avoid having them fall out of sync. I
don't have a super IDE, I just had the base class open in the editor to use
as a reference for the function documentation. I'd prefer not to copy them
anywhere, those I suppose when things settle down there is less risk of bit
rot if they are (maintenance would still be needed).

Russell Nelson-3 wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 30, 2011 at 10:20 PM, Rob Lanphier <robla <at> wikimedia.org>
> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Nov 30, 2011 at 5:51 PM, Aaron Schulz <aschulz4587 <at> gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>> > I'm starting to finish the initial coding for the FileBackend branch
>> (see
>> > https://svn.wikimedia.org/viewvc/mediawiki/branches/FileBackend). I
>> still
>> > have to get to thumb.php and img_auth.php though. Simple testing of
>> uploads,
>> > re-uploads, moves, deletes, restores, and such are working on my local
>> > testwiki.
>>

> Did you test it using smtest.py ? It's a lot more persistent about testing
> because it's a lot less distractable than any hu .... SQUIRREL!
>

>> Hi folks,

(Continue reading)

Russell Nelson | 1 Dec 20:11 2011
Picon