Brion Vibber | 1 Dec 17:42 2011
Picon

Re: UI prototypes from Mumbai

On Wed, Nov 30, 2011 at 8:27 PM, Erik Moeller <erik <at> wikimedia.org> wrote:

> Shivansh Shrivastava developed these mockups which he presented at the
> WikiConference India and shared with me at the Mumbai hackathon:
>
> https://svn.wikimedia.org/viewvc/mediawiki/trunk/mockups/ajax-mockups/
>
> * English Wikipedia main page mockup with newsticker and gallery

I'm not too fond of moving tickers like this; it's a bit distracting, but
it's also an accessibility issue: some people may have a hard time getting
at that text because it's moving around.

The gallery is more intriguing; we definitely need better support for
showing sets of nice pictures, and something in that direction would be
very nice in a number of places.

Again, automatically shifting through them can be an accessibility issue,
so shouldn't be generally relied upon but can be good for autoplay-style
stuff as long as you can pause it easily and navigate manually.

* Sliding login/account creation panel (based on existing GPL'd jQuery
> plugin)

This looks super cool! Main practical problem with an ajax login form is
that we'd like to migrate all logins over to SSL (required, not optional)
somewhere in the medium-term.

(Continue reading)

Shivansh Srivastava | 1 Dec 19:33 2011
Picon

Re: UI prototypes from Mumbai

HI,

On 1 December 2011 22:12, Brion Vibber <brion <at> pobox.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 30, 2011 at 8:27 PM, Erik Moeller <erik <at> wikimedia.org> wrote:
>
> > Shivansh Shrivastava developed these mockups which he presented at the
> > WikiConference India and shared with me at the Mumbai hackathon:
> >
> > https://svn.wikimedia.org/viewvc/mediawiki/trunk/mockups/ajax-mockups/
> >
> > * English Wikipedia main page mockup with newsticker and gallery
> >

> I'm not too fond of moving tickers like this; it's a bit distracting, but
> it's also an accessibility issue: some people may have a hard time getting
> at that text because it's moving around.

The ticker is mainly so that we could have more news rotating, that has a
functionality of stopping onmouseover(). It might be a bit distracting, but
on the Main Page, it might be a great feature. This will actually grab
attention of many users. It can have the latest News, fed from, lets say
BBC World (for people who want to stay up to date with the latest news). I
want to bring the best features of the most visited sites around the net, &
implement it *efficiently* on the Wiki main page. Even the Featured Article
can be made more interesting, with the gallery. We could implement a few
more features in more Tables like "On this Day" too.