Brion VIBBER | 2 Sep 07:54 2002
Picon

Re: [Intlwiki-l] Japanese Wikipedia

Guillaume Blanchard wrote:
> Hello everybody,
> I'm living in Japan and I know some japanese people very intrested to
> contribute to japanese Wikipedia.
> But with the actual software installed on japanese Wikipedia, there many
> problems using japanese caracters in links names and the interface is all
> english.
> I can ask to translate the Language.php file, but I'm afraid that when they
> will finish the translation, this file been up to date.
> The japanese Wikipedia is practically empty, so I think it will be easy to
> put the new software on japanese site. Then we will translate it in japanese
> while running.
> No convertion is need, I think it will take less than a hour to recreate the
> few pages actualy on http://ja.wikipedia.com.
> The new software using UTF8, isn't it ?

You're right, it can't hurt... I'll work on setting that up with an
empty dummy LanguageJa.php, as well as a test version of the Esperanto
wiki (which will also be UTF8; I'm going to have to tweak some things to
avoid breaking links in various directions).

And please, feel free to start adapting the French language file to the
new format too!
http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/wikipedia/phpwiki/newcodebase/Language.php
Click the "download" link.