Sebastian Bernhard | 5 Apr 17:54 2012

Problem with other backends than html / docbook


Hello Stuart, hello asciidoc users,

recently I'tried the latex backend with the documented (1) command
line and the current mercurial checkout

   me <at> tron:/home/land> python ~/doku/asciidoc/asciidoc.py -b latex --
unsafe man/ep.txt

Running this command only produces the following error message.

   asciidoc: WARNING: ep.txt: line 3: missing section: [source-filter-
style]
   asciidoc: FAILED: ep.txt: line 3: malformed section entry:
template::[source-filter-style]

What should be done, to give the latex backend a try.

Thanks
Sebastian

(1) http://www.methods.co.nz/asciidoc/latex-bugs.html

--

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "asciidoc" group.
To post to this group, send email to asciidoc@...
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to asciidoc+unsubscribe@...
For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/asciidoc?hl=en.

(Continue reading)

Lex Trotman | 6 Apr 01:28 2012
Picon

Re: Problem with other backends than html / docbook

On 6 April 2012 01:54, Sebastian Bernhard <sk@...> wrote:
>
> Hello Stuart, hello asciidoc users,
>
> recently I'tried the latex backend with the documented (1) command
> line and the current mercurial checkout
>
>   me <at> tron:/home/land> python ~/doku/asciidoc/asciidoc.py -b latex --
> unsafe man/ep.txt
>
> Running this command only produces the following error message.
>
>   asciidoc: WARNING: ep.txt: line 3: missing section: [source-filter-
> style]
>   asciidoc: FAILED: ep.txt: line 3: malformed section entry:
> template::[source-filter-style]
>
> What should be done, to give the latex backend a try.

Hi Sebastian,

The latex backend is not manitained by the Asciidoc project, it is an
experimental backend maintained by outside volunteers and I don't
think it has been maintained since 8.4.4.  The errors look like it is
incompatible with recent changes to the way filters operate.

If you are offering to maintain it, great, just take a copy and hack
away, preferably somewhere public like github.

If you are trying to use it, instead you could try using dblatex to
(Continue reading)

Gour | 4 May 10:59 2012
X-Face
Picon

Re: Problem with other backends than html / docbook

On Thu, 5 Apr 2012 08:54:54 -0700 (PDT)
Sebastian Bernhard
<sk@...> wrote:

Hello Sebastian,

> Running this command only produces the following error message.
> 
>    asciidoc: WARNING: ep.txt: line 3: missing section: [source-filter-
> style]
>    asciidoc: FAILED: ep.txt: line 3: malformed section entry:
> template::[source-filter-style]

I've tried latex backend hoping to find workaround for lack of proper
floating of images, but I get the same error as you.

> What should be done, to give the latex backend a try.

Have you, maybe, found some workaround to use latex backend with latest
AsciiDoc?

Sincerely,
Gour

--

-- 
Never was there a time when I did not exist, 
nor you, nor all these kings; nor in the future 
shall any of us cease to be.

http://atmarama.net | Hlapicina (Croatia) | GPG: 52B5C810
(Continue reading)

Tom | 14 May 02:16 2012
Picon

Re: Problem with other backends than html / docbook

Hi, Gour,

This is a fortuitous posting. I was considering starting a topic like this.

While I know the latex backend is experimental, I also know my needs are simple and I thought I might not push it past its limits.  Lately I gave it a try.

So two things ...

1)

To answer the thread's question first -- I got the same error.  You see, the manual says somewhere that asciidoc will try to load in all the filters it finds in the filter directory.  That includes the source-filter (or whatever it's called, see below) filter.  But there's something wrong with it, so even if you aren't using source-highlight-filtering, you get an error.

My favorite theories about it are: You might have to install the source-highlight package to get it to work.  OR .... the name of the source hilight filter may have changed recently, and the asciidoc referencing hasn't caught up yet.

Anyway ... WORKAROUND ... The way to turn the thing off is to create a file named

    __noautoload__

in the folder with the filter's config file.  I found mine in the filters folder, which is in the asciidoc or .asciidoc folder in the machine's \user\(username)\AppData\Roaming  (or in the Documents and Settings\(username)\ ) section , since I'm on windows.

That keeps the filter from trying to load, and asciidoc and the latex backend can proceed.

2)

But then there's my question.  

...... I used this on the 8.6.7 distribution's doc\asciidoc.txt file.  

...... Did everyone else that tried this get the same thing, that all
...... the tables ran off the right hand side of the pdf's page?

(I am planning to examine the latex source that was generated for the tables, but I ran out of time.)

Tom

On May 4, 4:59 am, Gour <g...-XQYBc/g6bIvk1uMJSBkQmQ@public.gmane.org> wrote:
> On Thu, 5 Apr 2012 08:54:54 -0700 (PDT)
> Sebastian Bernhard
>
> <s...-bdq14YP6qtTFlEURE6xjZ1aTQe2KTcn/@public.gmane.org> wrote:
>
> Hello Sebastian,
>
> > Running this command only produces the following error message.
>
> >    asciidoc: WARNING: ep.txt: line 3: missing section: [source-filter-
> > style]
> >    asciidoc: FAILED: ep.txt: line 3: malformed section entry:
> > template::[source-filter-style]
>
> I've tried latex backend hoping to find workaround for lack of proper
> floating of images, but I get the same error as you.
>
> > What should be done, to give the latex backend a try.
>
> Have you, maybe, found some workaround to use latex backend with latest
> AsciiDoc?
>
> Sincerely,
> Gour


--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "asciidoc" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msg/asciidoc/-/gf3OWOtJb3oJ.
To post to this group, send email to asciidoc-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFF+G/Ez6ZCGd0@public.gmane.org
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to asciidoc+unsubscribe <at> googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/asciidoc?hl=en.
Tom | 15 May 01:10 2012
Picon

Re: Problem with other backends than html / docbook

Regarding my question, I did see the recent update to Geoff Eddy's "Bugs in asciidoc latex backend"  from a little after 3.6.7 came out.

http://www.methods.co.nz/asciidoc/latex-bugs.html

He explains why the tables are getting colspecs that assume 15 left justified columns.


On Sunday, May 13, 2012 8:16:02 PM UTC-4, Tom wrote:

Hi, Gour,

This is a fortuitous posting. I was considering starting a topic like this.

While I know the latex backend is experimental, I also know my needs are simple and I thought I might not push it past its limits.  Lately I gave it a try.

So two things ...

1)

To answer the thread's question first -- I got the same error.  You see, the manual says somewhere that asciidoc will try to load in all the filters it finds in the filter directory.  That includes the source-filter (or whatever it's called, see below) filter.  But there's something wrong with it, so even if you aren't using source-highlight-filtering, you get an error.

My favorite theories about it are: You might have to install the source-highlight package to get it to work.  OR .... the name of the source hilight filter may have changed recently, and the asciidoc referencing hasn't caught up yet.

Anyway ... WORKAROUND ... The way to turn the thing off is to create a file named

    __noautoload__

in the folder with the filter's config file.  I found mine in the filters folder, which is in the asciidoc or .asciidoc folder in the machine's \user\(username)\AppData\Roaming  (or in the Documents and Settings\(username)\ ) section , since I'm on windows.

That keeps the filter from trying to load, and asciidoc and the latex backend can proceed.

2)

But then there's my question.  

...... I used this on the 8.6.7 distribution's doc\asciidoc.txt file.  

...... Did everyone else that tried this get the same thing, that all
...... the tables ran off the right hand side of the pdf's page?

(I am planning to examine the latex source that was generated for the tables, but I ran out of time.)

Tom

On May 4, 4:59 am, Gour <g...-XQYBc/g6bIvk1uMJSBkQmQ@public.gmane.org> wrote:
> On Thu, 5 Apr 2012 08:54:54 -0700 (PDT)
> Sebastian Bernhard
>
> <s...-bdq14YP6qtTFlEURE6xjZ1aTQe2KTcn/@public.gmane.org> wrote:
>
> Hello Sebastian,
>
> > Running this command only produces the following error message.
>
> >    asciidoc: WARNING: ep.txt: line 3: missing section: [source-filter-
> > style]
> >    asciidoc: FAILED: ep.txt: line 3: malformed section entry:
> > template::[source-filter-style]
>
> I've tried latex backend hoping to find workaround for lack of proper
> floating of images, but I get the same error as you.
>
> > What should be done, to give the latex backend a try.
>
> Have you, maybe, found some workaround to use latex backend with latest
> AsciiDoc?
>
> Sincerely,
> Gour


--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "asciidoc" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msg/asciidoc/-/NBkzYtRUhHIJ.
To post to this group, send email to asciidoc-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFF+G/Ez6ZCGd0@public.gmane.org
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to asciidoc+unsubscribe <at> googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/asciidoc?hl=en.
Gour | 15 May 07:38 2012
X-Face
Picon

Re: Problem with other backends than html / docbook

On Sun, 13 May 2012 17:16:02 -0700 (PDT)
Tom <tombaker17@...> wrote:

> This is a fortuitous posting. I was considering starting a topic like
> this.

:-)

> To answer the thread's question first -- I got the same error.  You
> see, the manual says somewhere that asciidoc will try to load in all
> the filters it finds in the filter directory.  That includes the
> source-filter (or whatever it's called, see below) filter.  But
> there's something wrong with it, so even if you aren't using
> source-highlight-filtering, you get an error.

After installing it, I was able to get article.txt built.

> Anyway ... WORKAROUND ... The way to turn the thing off is to create
> a file named 
> 
>     __noautoload__
> 
> in the folder with the filter's config file.  I found mine in the
> filters folder, which is in the asciidoc or .asciidoc folder in the
> machine's \user\(username)\AppData\Roaming  (or in the Documents and 
> Settings\(username)\ ) section , since I'm on windows.
> 
> That keeps the filter from trying to load, and asciidoc and the latex 
> backend can proceed.

Interesting...

I did try with the above mentioned file, but, still, AsciiDoc fails with
article.txt.

asciidoc: ERROR: asciidoc.txt: line 5976: undefined filter attribute in
command: "{python2}" "{asciidoc-file}" -b {backend}
{asciidoc-args}{lang? -a "lang={lang} <at> "}{icons? -a icons -a
"iconsdir={iconsdir}"}{imagesdir? -a "imagesdir={imagesdir}"}{data-uri?
-a data-uri} -a "indir={indir}"{trace? -a "trace={trace}"}{blockname? -a
"blockname={blockname}"} -s -

> (I am planning to examine the latex source that was generated for the 
> tables, but I ran out of time.)

I'm not very familiar with latex' low-level details and considering that
we have job which has to be done, I'm going to proceed with converting
my HTML --> PDF by using LyX and LaTeX fine-tuning.

Waiting for another opportunity to deploy AsciiDoc.

Thank you for your input.

Sincerely,
Gour

--

-- 
Even a man of knowledge acts according to his own nature, for 
everyone follows the nature he has acquired from the three modes. 
What can repression accomplish?

http://atmarama.net | Hlapicina (Croatia) | GPG: 52B5C810
streetdella | 3 Sep 13:51 2013
Picon

Re: Problem with other backends than html / docbook

I think I fixed it. Filed a bug report and added a patch.

http://code.google.com/p/asciidoc/issues/detail?id=26


Op donderdag 5 april 2012 17:54:54 UTC+2 schreef Sebastian Bernhard:

Hello Stuart, hello asciidoc users,

recently I'tried the latex backend with the documented (1) command
line and the current mercurial checkout

   me <at> tron:/home/land> python ~/doku/asciidoc/asciidoc.py -b latex --
unsafe man/ep.txt

Running this command only produces the following error message.

   asciidoc: WARNING: ep.txt: line 3: missing section: [source-filter-
style]
   asciidoc: FAILED: ep.txt: line 3: malformed section entry:
template::[source-filter-style]

What should be done, to give the latex backend a try.

Thanks
Sebastian

(1) http://www.methods.co.nz/asciidoc/latex-bugs.html

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "asciidoc" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to asciidoc+unsubscribe-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFF+G/Ez6ZCGd0@public.gmane.org
To post to this group, send email to asciidoc-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFF+G/Ez6ZCGd0@public.gmane.org
Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/asciidoc.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.

Gmane