Pablo Rodríguez | 23 Apr 22:38 2012

TEI generated ePubs slower to navigate

Hi there,

I got an e-reader and one of the books I wanted to read was the TEI Lite
Guidelines (generated from
http://www.tei-c.org/release/xml/tei/custom/odd/teilite.odd at

Everything works fine, except that the TEI Lite ePub file takes longer
to navigate in the e-reader. This is specially noticeable when you go to
the next page beginning a new section. In this case it takes more than
10 seconds, when going to the next page only takes about a second in
other files.

I experienced this issue for the first time with the Guidelines.epub. I
thought it was caused by the big size of the archive. But after I
experienced the same issue with teilite.epub, I thought it might be the
way ePub files are generated from TEI files.

Comparing two files: teilite.epub and another bigger file that works
fine, gives the following results:

teilite.epub contains 35 files. Compressed size is 314.2KB and
uncompressed size is 2.8MB, being the compression ratio almost 11.06%.

http://www.feedbooks.com/book/4960.epub contains 128 files. Compressed
size is 2.3MB and uncompressed size is 6.7, being the compression rate 35%.

The higher compression rate might be the culprit, although I experience
the problem also with other files than have a much lower compression
rate

stuart yeates | 24 Apr 07:42 2012

Re: TEI generated ePubs slower to navigate

There are several issues that may be intertwined

(1) higher compression ratios are likely to be slower
(2) larger content file sizes (longer textual chapters, larger images)
are likely to be slower
(3) more complex HTML (unnecessary <div/>s etc) is likely to be slower
(4) more complex CSS / javascript is likely to be slower

These can be checked by:

(1) Uncompressing the epub (if necessary chang .epub to .zip so standard
zip tools will work) and recompessing it twice, once with the -9 option
(maximum compression) once with -0 option (no compression)

(2) Uncompressing the epub, scaling down the images and recompressing
(probably need to recompress the original)

(3) Uncompressing, running through jtidy (or similar) and recompressing.

(4) Uncompressing, stripping out the files and recompressing.

cheers
stuart

On 24/04/12 08:38, Pablo Rodríguez wrote:
> Hi there,
> I got an e-reader and one of the books I wanted to read was the TEI Lite
> Guidelines (generated from
> http://www.tei-c.org/release/xml/tei/custom/odd/teilite.odd at

Sebastian Rahtz | 24 Apr 09:47 2012

On 24 Apr 2012, at 06:42, stuart yeates wrote:

> There are several issues that may be intertwined
> (1) higher compression ratios are likely to be slower
> (3) more complex HTML (unnecessary <div/>s etc) is likely to be slower
> (4) more complex CSS / javascript is likely to be slower
I would guess the difference must be (3) or (4), but this
is going to be very hard to pin down.  It may also
depend on which  epub reader is being used.

I am afraid I don't see the problem myself, so don't
really know what to advise.

Sebastian Rahtz

stuart yeates | 24 Apr 09:53 2012

On 24/04/12 19:47, Sebastian Rahtz wrote:
> On 24 Apr 2012, at 06:42, stuart yeates wrote:
>> There are several issues that may be intertwined
>> (1) higher compression ratios are likely to be slower
>> (2) larger content file sizes (longer textual chapters, larger images) are likely to be slower
>> (3) more complex HTML (unnecessary<div/>s etc) is likely to be slower
>> (4) more complex CSS / javascript is likely to be slower
> I would guess the difference must be (3) or (4), but this
> is going to be very hard to pin down.  It may also
> depend on which  epub reader is being used.
> I am afraid I don't see the problem myself, so don't
> really know what to advise.

I've just recalled that there's also:

(5) your zip file is compressed using bzip2 rather than LZ compression

bzip2 gives better compression on large and very large files. Never use
bzip2 or BWT based algorithm where the file many need accessed
incrementally, however, since it typically works in 900k blocks rather
than 1k blocks.

cheers
stuart

Sebastian Rahtz | 24 Apr 19:47 2012

On 24 Apr 2012, at 08:53, stuart yeates wrote:

I've just recalled that there's also:

(5) your zip file is compressed using bzip2 rather than LZ compression

bzip2 gives better compression on large and very large files. Never use bzip2 or BWT based algorithm where the file many need accessed incrementally, however, since it typically works in 900k blocks rather than 1k blocks.

interesting. I am doing this stuff from within ant (using http://ant.apache.org/manual/Tasks/zip.html), and
it looks like that gives no control over the compression algorithm. I wonder what to do?

Sebastian
Pablo Rodríguez | 24 Apr 19:29 2012

On 24/04/12 09:47, Sebastian Rahtz wrote:
> On 24 Apr 2012, at 06:42, stuart yeates wrote:
>> There are several issues that may be intertwined
>> (1) higher compression ratios are likely to be slower
>> (3) more complex HTML (unnecessary <div/>s etc) is likely to be slower
>> (4) more complex CSS / javascript is likely to be slower
> I would guess the difference must be (3) or (4), but this
> is going to be very hard to pin down.  It may also
> depend on which  epub reader is being used.

Many thanks for your help, Stuart and Sebastian.

Removing both print.css and stylesheet.css from teilite.epub (and
removing references from content.opf makes everything work as any other
file.

BTW, I have found that both css files include at the beginning: