Francesco Chicchiriccò | 3 Jan 10:41 2012
Picon

[C3] cocoon-sample / cocoon-archetype-block and rcl

Hi devs,
cocoon-sample and cocoon-archetype-block do use cocoon-maven-plugin to prepare and deploy a block to a local jetty, featuring some class reloading feature.

It could be an idea to remove cocoon-maven-plugin and profit from class reloading features of Tomcat 7 [1] (for instance) with support of Cargo for managing and configuring Tomcat instance.

We may, of course, continue (actually, start again) support for cocoon-maven-plugin. but I have more a feeling that we could better concentrate on C3 development, instead.

WDYT?

Regards.

[1] http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-7.0-doc/config/loader.html#Common_Attributes
[2] http://cargo.codehaus.org/Tomcat+7.x -- Francesco Chicchiriccò Apache Cocoon Committer and PMC Member http://people.apache.org/~ilgrosso/
Thorsten Scherler | 3 Jan 11:45 2012
Picon

Re: [C3] cocoon-sample / cocoon-archetype-block and rcl

On Tue, 2012-01-03 at 10:41 +0100, Francesco Chicchiriccò wrote:
> Hi devs,
> cocoon-sample and cocoon-archetype-block do use cocoon-maven-plugin to
> prepare and deploy a block to a local jetty, featuring some class
> reloading feature.
>
> It could be an idea to remove cocoon-maven-plugin and profit from
> class reloading features of Tomcat 7 [1] (for instance) with support
> of Cargo for managing and configuring Tomcat instance.
>
> We may, of course, continue (actually, start again) support for
> cocoon-maven-plugin. but I have more a feeling that we could better
> concentrate on C3 development, instead.
>
> WDYT?

Actually I think Igor has made a cut on the rcl using spring rcl
instead. I would rather not force to use tomcat and bound us there.
However if we can extract Igors work in this area I would be +1 to drop
our own stuff in favor for spring.

salu2

> Regards.
>
> [1]
> http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-7.0-doc/config/loader.html#Common_Attributes
> [2] http://cargo.codehaus.org/Tomcat+7.x
> --
> Francesco Chicchiriccò
>
> Apache Cocoon Committer and PMC Member
> http://people.apache.org/~ilgrosso/

codeBusters S.L. - web based systems
<consulting, training and solutions>
http://www.codebusters.es/

Francesco Chicchiriccò | 4 Jan 09:06 2012

On 03/01/2012 11:45, Thorsten Scherler wrote:
> On Tue, 2012-01-03 at 10:41 +0100, Francesco Chicchiriccò wrote:
>> Hi devs,
>> cocoon-sample and cocoon-archetype-block do use cocoon-maven-plugin to
>> prepare and deploy a block to a local jetty, featuring some class
>> reloading feature.
>>
>> It could be an idea to remove cocoon-maven-plugin and profit from
>> class reloading features of Tomcat 7 [1] (for instance) with support
>> of Cargo for managing and configuring Tomcat instance.
>>
>> We may, of course, continue (actually, start again) support for
>> cocoon-maven-plugin. but I have more a feeling that we could better
>> concentrate on C3 development, instead.
>>
>> WDYT?
> Actually I think Igor has made a cut on the rcl using spring rcl
> instead. I would rather not force to use tomcat and bound us there.
> However if we can extract Igors work in this area I would be +1 to drop
> our own stuff in favor for spring.

Are you talking about [3]? It does not seem (to me) to provide any class
reloading; Igor, can you provide any hint here?

[3] https://github.com/igorzep/cocoon-springification.git

Francesco Chicchiriccò

Apache Cocoon Committer and PMC Member
http://people.apache.org/~ilgrosso/

Igor Malinin | 4 Jan 09:55 2012
Picon

Re: [C3] cocoon-sample / cocoon-archetype-block and rcl

My cocoon-springification [3] work does not have any reloading by
itself, but I use JRebel with C3 with great success.

Cocoon RCL simply doesn't work for me, and even the referenced
application [3] while short and simple fails after first reloading with
completely broken Spring context. I've tried to fix it, but meet so much
issues that decided not to spent more time on it when working and much
more complete and transparent solution is available already.

On 2012-01-04 10:06, Francesco Chicchiriccò wrote:
> On 03/01/2012 11:45, Thorsten Scherler wrote:
>> On Tue, 2012-01-03 at 10:41 +0100, Francesco Chicchiriccò wrote:
>>> Hi devs,
>>> cocoon-sample and cocoon-archetype-block do use cocoon-maven-plugin to
>>> prepare and deploy a block to a local jetty, featuring some class
>>> reloading feature.

>>> We may, of course, continue (actually, start again) support for
>>> cocoon-maven-plugin. but I have more a feeling that we could better
>>> concentrate on C3 development, instead.
>>>
>>> WDYT?
>> Actually I think Igor has made a cut on the rcl using spring rcl
>> instead. I would rather not force to use tomcat and bound us there.
>> However if we can extract Igors work in this area I would be +1 to drop
>> our own stuff in favor for spring.
> Are you talking about [3]? It does not seem (to me) to provide any class
> reloading; Igor, can you provide any hint here?
>
> [3] https://github.com/igorzep/cocoon-springification.git

Reinhard Pötz | 4 Jan 09:30 2012

On 01/03/2012 10:41 AM, Francesco Chicchiriccò wrote:
> Hi devs,
> cocoon-sample and cocoon-archetype-block do use cocoon-maven-plugin to
> prepare and deploy a block to a local jetty, featuring some class
> reloading feature.
>
> It could be an idea to remove cocoon-maven-plugin and profit from class
> reloading features of Tomcat 7 [1] (for instance) with support of Cargo
> for managing and configuring Tomcat instance.
>
> We may, of course, continue (actually, start again) support for
> cocoon-maven-plugin. but I have more a feeling that we could better
> concentrate on C3 development, instead.

What's the problem with the cocoon-maven-plugin?

Apache Cocoon Committer, PMC member                  reinhard <at> apache.org

     http://s.apache.org/JCPIsDead       http://s.apache.org/tck-trap

Igor Malinin | 4 Jan 10:04 2012
Picon

Re: [C3] cocoon-sample / cocoon-archetype-block and rcl

In short - the problem is that it works only if everything is inside
WebAppContext and breaks root application context totally if there is
anything. If you have EntityManagerFactory or something similar
configured at ROOT it makes more harm than good even before first real
reloading (as it does full reloading on every request even if nothing
changed). It has other problems but those are not as important as this one.

On 2012-01-04 10:30, Reinhard Pötz wrote:
> What's the problem with the cocoon-maven-plugin?

Gmane