Chris Bowditch | 5 Jul 16:48 2010
Picon

Re: OPen Type Korean (Hangul) Fonts

Tom Browder wrote:
> I would like to be able to use a Hangul (Hangeul: Korean) Open Type
> font with fop.

Hi Tom,

Please post questions relating to the usage of FOP in the fop-users
mailing list. fop-dev is for Java coding issues on the FOP project. Thanks!

<snip/>

> It seems to me that fontforge could be used to convert the bfd fonts
> to a vector Open Type format.  If so, would their license permit them
> to be used for fop use and testing?
>
> Next question, could anyone working on the Open Type area in fop use
> some help to move toward being able to use such fonts?

The main barrier to using Open Type Fonts in FOP is the limitation
pertaining to CFF glyphs. FOP currently doesn't OTF with CFF glyphs. All
the eastern typefaces shipped as OTF that I have seen contain CFF glyphs.

Chris

Tom Browder | 5 Jul 22:25 2010

On Mon, Jul 5, 2010 at 09:48, Chris Bowditch <bowditch_chris <at> hotmail.com> wrote:
> Tom Browder wrote:
>>
>> Next question, could anyone working on the Open Type area in fop use
>> some help to move toward being able to use such fonts?

Well, I thought that only a dev would be interested.

I found an open bug (can't find at the moment) about not having a
suitable open type for testing.

> The main barrier to using Open Type Fonts in FOP is the limitation
> pertaining to CFF glyphs. FOP currently doesn't OTF with CFF glyphs. All the
> eastern typefaces shipped as OTF that I have seen contain CFF glyphs.

Is anyone working on that or is that an area someone could help with?

-Tom

Chris Bowditch | 6 Jul 09:42 2010

Tom Browder wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 5, 2010 at 09:48, Chris Bowditch <bowditch_chris <at> hotmail.com> wrote:
>> Tom Browder wrote:
>>> Next question, could anyone working on the Open Type area in fop use
>>> some help to move toward being able to use such fonts?
>
> Well, I thought that only a dev would be interested.

The devs all participate in the users list too!

> I found an open bug (can't find at the moment) about not having a
> suitable open type for testing.
>
>> The main barrier to using Open Type Fonts in FOP is the limitation
>> pertaining to CFF glyphs. FOP currently doesn't OTF with CFF glyphs. All the
>> eastern typefaces shipped as OTF that I have seen contain CFF glyphs.
>
> Is anyone working on that or is that an area someone could help with?

I believe Vincent is working on that, on the TrueType In Postscript branch.

Thanks,

Chris