tecshine | 12 Jul 08:14 2011
Picon

org.apache.fop.fo.ValidationException: "fo:list-block" is missing child elements

I have migrated from fop 0.20.5 to FOP 1.0. I get the following exception
javax.xml.transform.TransformerException:
org.apache.fop.fo.ValidationException: "fo:list-block" is missing child
elements. Required content model: marker* (list-item)+ (See position
369:112)
I am aware that this kind of errors occur when the parent is empty or doesnt
have child elements, so check the xsl file .All "fo:list-block" elements in
the xsl file contain at least one  "fo:list-item" child element. Even then I
stumble upon this exception.
Can someone help me get out of this please.

Thanks in advance
Swetha

Pascal Sancho | 12 Jul 09:15 2011
Picon

Re: org.apache.fop.fo.ValidationException: "fo:list-block" is missing child elements

Hi Swetha,

FOP 1.0 is more strict than FOP 0.2x regarding the XSL-FO REC 1.1.
Probably you will experiment further ValidationExceptions against FO
elements or attributes (missing %block% in fo:table-cell is the most
popular).

The best way is to rewrite your XSL-T to produce strict XSL-FO.

But FOP team offered a configuration tip to help in FOP 0.2x to Latest
migration: see [strict-validation] element at [1].

[1]
http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/fop/1.0/configuration.html#general-available

Le 12/07/2011 08:14, tecshine a écrit :

> I have migrated from fop 0.20.5 to FOP 1.0. I get the following exception
> javax.xml.transform.TransformerException:
> org.apache.fop.fo.ValidationException: "fo:list-block" is missing child
> elements. Required content model: marker* (list-item)+ (See position
> 369:112)
> I am aware that this kind of errors occur when the parent is empty or doesnt
> have child elements, so check the xsl file .All "fo:list-block" elements in
> the xsl file contain at least one  "fo:list-item" child element. Even then I
> stumble upon this exception.
> Can someone help me get out of this please.
>
> Thanks in advance
> Swetha
(Continue reading)

tecshine | 12 Jul 10:52 2011
Picon

Re: org.apache.fop.fo.ValidationException: "fo:list-block" is missing child elements

Thanks for the reply Pascal

I have tried using fopFactory.setStrictValidation(false); but it doesnt
solve the problem.
Our entire application was based on FOP 0.20.5 and rewriting all XSLTs would
mean a lot of work.
Is there any other way we can resolve the issue.

Pascal Sancho wrote:

> Hi Swetha,
>
> FOP 1.0 is more strict than FOP 0.2x regarding the XSL-FO REC 1.1.
> Probably you will experiment further ValidationExceptions against FO
> elements or attributes (missing %block% in fo:table-cell is the most
> popular).
>
> The best way is to rewrite your XSL-T to produce strict XSL-FO.
>
> But FOP team offered a configuration tip to help in FOP 0.2x to Latest
> migration: see [strict-validation] element at [1].
>

> [1]
> http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/fop/1.0/configuration.html#general-available
>
> Le 12/07/2011 08:14, tecshine a écrit :
>>
>> I have migrated from fop 0.20.5 to FOP 1.0. I get the following exception
(Continue reading)

Chris Bowditch | 12 Jul 13:08 2011
Picon

Re: org.apache.fop.fo.ValidationException: "fo:list-block" is missing child elements

On 12/07/2011 09:52, tecshine wrote:

Hi,
> Thanks for the reply Pascal
>
> I have tried using fopFactory.setStrictValidation(false); but it doesnt
> solve the problem.
> Our entire application was based on FOP 0.20.5 and rewriting all XSLTs would
> mean a lot of work.
> Is there any other way we can resolve the issue.

Can you generate the XSL-FO and post it to the list (if its not too big)

Since you are submitting XSLT+XML to fop you will need to use -foout
option when running FOP from the command line to generate the
intermediate XSL-FO. We can debug the issue by looking at the XSL-FO.

Thanks,

Chris

> Pascal Sancho wrote:
>> Hi Swetha,
>>
>> FOP 1.0 is more strict than FOP 0.2x regarding the XSL-FO REC 1.1.
>> Probably you will experiment further ValidationExceptions against FO
>> elements or attributes (missing %block% in fo:table-cell is the most
(Continue reading)

Glenn Adams | 12 Jul 13:11 2011

Re: org.apache.fop.fo.ValidationException: "fo:list-block" is missing child elements

this is not a bug, as pointed out by Pascal

--
Pascal

For additional commands, e-mail: fop-users-help <at> xmlgraphics.apache.org

For additional commands, e-mail: fop-users-help <at> xmlgraphics.apache.org

tecshine | 12 Jul 14:08 2011
Picon

Re: org.apache.fop.fo.ValidationException: "fo:list-block" is missing child elements

Dear

I generated the XSL-FO for my XML+XSL and the result is too big to post
here.I have attached it  http://old.nabble.com/file/p32045268/test.out
test.out
But here is an extract from it which I guess is the cause of the error:

<fo:list-block line-height="1.5" provisional-label-separation="1cm"
provisional-distance-between-starts="6cm">
<fo:list-item>
<fo:list-item-label end-indent="label-end()">
<fo:block font-weight="bold" text-align="start"/>
</fo:list-item-label>
<fo:list-item-body start-indent="body-start()">
<fo:list-block space-after="1cm" provisional-label-separation="1cm"
provisional-distance-between-starts="3cm"/>
</fo:list-item-body>
</fo:list-item>
</fo:list-block>

and the corresponding XSL part for the above is :

<fo:list-block provisional-distance-between-starts="6cm"
provisional-label-separation="1cm" line-height="1.5">
				<fo:list-item>
					<fo:list-item-label end-indent="label-end()">
						<fo:block text-align="start" font-weight="bold"/>
					</fo:list-item-label>
					<fo:list-item-body start-indent="body-start()">
						<fo:list-block provisional-distance-between-starts="3cm"
provisional-label-separation="1cm" space-after="1cm">
							<xsl:for-each select="SITE/OPENHOURS/DAY">
								<fo:list-item>
									<fo:list-item-label end-indent="label-end()">

So is it the usage of <fo:list-block> inside a <fo:list-item-label> that
caused the problem??

Glenn Adams-2 wrote:

> this is not a bug, as pointed out by Pascal
>
> On Tue, Jul 12, 2011 at 5:08 AM, Chris Bowditch
> <bowditch_chris <at> hotmail.com>wrote:
>
>> On 12/07/2011 09:52, tecshine wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>>> Thanks for the reply Pascal
>>>
>>> I have tried using fopFactory.**setStrictValidation(false); but it
>>> doesnt
>>> solve the problem.
>>> Our entire application was based on FOP 0.20.5 and rewriting all XSLTs
>>> would
>>> mean a lot of work.
>>> Is there any other way we can resolve the issue.
>>>

>> Can you generate the XSL-FO and post it to the list (if its not too big)
>>
>> Since you are submitting XSLT+XML to fop you will need to use -foout
>> option
>> when running FOP from the command line to generate the intermediate
>> XSL-FO.
>> We can debug the issue by looking at the XSL-FO.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Chris

>> For additional commands, e-mail:
>> fop-users-help <at> xmlgraphics.**apache.org<fop-users-help <at> xmlgraphics.apache.org>

Christopher R. Maden | 12 Jul 16:32 2011

On 07/12/2011 08:08 AM, tecshine wrote:
> <fo:list-block line-height="1.5" provisional-label-separation="1cm"
> provisional-distance-between-starts="6cm">
> <fo:list-item>
> <fo:list-item-label end-indent="label-end()">
> <fo:block font-weight="bold" text-align="start"/>
> </fo:list-item-label>
> <fo:list-item-body start-indent="body-start()">
> <fo:list-block space-after="1cm" provisional-label-separation="1cm"
> provisional-distance-between-starts="3cm"/>

This list-block is empty.  That is illegal.

> </fo:list-item-body>
> </fo:list-item>
> </fo:list-block>

~Chris

“Mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable
 than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they
 are accustomed.” — Thomas Jefferson
Chris Bowditch | 15 Jul 16:42 2011

On 12/07/2011 12:11, Glenn Adams wrote:
> this is not a bug, as pointed out by Pascal

By debug I meant debug the XSLT/XSL-FO rather than the Java code.

> [...]
>                 I am aware that this kind of errors occur when the
>                 parent is empty or
>                 doesnt
>                 have child elements, so check the xsl file .All
>                 "fo:list-block" elements
>                 in
>                 the xsl file contain at least one  "fo:list-item"
>                 child element. Even
>                 then I
>                 stumble upon this exception.
>                 Can someone help me get out of this please.
>
>                 Thanks in advance
>                 Swetha
>
>             --
>             Pascal

>             For additional commands, e-mail:
>             fop-users-help <at> xmlgraphics.apache.org
>             <mailto:fop-users-help <at> xmlgraphics.apache.org>

>     For additional commands, e-mail:
>     fop-users-help <at> xmlgraphics.apache.org
>     <mailto:fop-users-help <at> xmlgraphics.apache.org>

Hamed Mohammed | 15 Jul 17:54 2011
Picon

Re: org.apache.fop.fo.ValidationException: "fo:list-block" is missing child elements

I get this error intermittently while generating PDF report using FOP 1.0.

null:5511:928: "{http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Format}block" is not a valid child of "fo:table-row"! (See position 5511:928).  In most cases this issue is resolved on resubmitting the report. Can any one pin point what is the actual cause of this issue and why it is happening occasionally for the same input?

org.apache.fop.fo.ValidationException: "{http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Format}block" is not a valid child of "fo:table-row"! (See position 1143:945)

       Pascal Sancho wrote:

[...]

Hamed Mohammed,
Email: mohdhamedmscse <at> gmail.com.