Susan | 16 Jan 21:50 2013
Picon

Clear 4G & Ubuntu

Hi! I was planning to reimage my kids' PCs to Ubuntu but just got Clear 4G for Internet, it's paid up for
15-months so that will be my Internet for awhile, switching to Comcast therefore isn't an option. 

(PCsforPeople, a non-profit in St.Paul on Marshall Ave, offers Clear 4G for $170 for 15months with the
purchase of their modem/router if your family qualifies for low-income.)

I'll admit I only did a quick Google search, but it seems Clear 4G only works with Windows/MAC :(

Does anyone know of a hack? I'll do more searching when I have time, but thought I'd through the question out
there on this list...

Susan Stewart 
Unisys Technical Services Field Technician
Dell Certified Systems Expert
Matthew Junk | 17 Jan 00:26 2013
Picon

Re: Clear 4G & Ubuntu

Susan,

Do you have a wireless router?  They are dirt cheap if you don't.

If you are tech savvy, try shutting off the the wireless on the clear
4g modem and connect the wireless router's WAN to the ethernet port on
the clear 4g wireless modem.

Then anything you connect to the wireless router should work.  Ubuntu,
mac os x, or Windows.

Please only attempt that if you know a bit about networking.

Just an idea.

Thanks,

Matt

On Wed, Jan 16, 2013 at 2:50 PM, Susan <susan.dawn.stewart <at> gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi! I was planning to reimage my kids' PCs to Ubuntu but just got Clear 4G for Internet, it's paid up for
15-months so that will be my Internet for awhile, switching to Comcast therefore isn't an option.
>
> (PCsforPeople, a non-profit in St.Paul on Marshall Ave, offers Clear 4G for $170 for 15months with the
purchase of their modem/router if your family qualifies for low-income.)
>
> I'll admit I only did a quick Google search, but it seems Clear 4G only works with Windows/MAC :(
>
> Does anyone know of a hack? I'll do more searching when I have time, but thought I'd through the question out
there on this list...
(Continue reading)

Yaron | 17 Jan 00:27 2013

Re: Clear 4G & Ubuntu

Not knowing anything about how exactly Clear works...

Is it... I mean, what kind of device do you get? Do you get a 
router/modem, or a WiFi hotspot, or a USB stick or something? Not sure 
what they use... if it's something that generates a local hotspot, you 
should be fine.

What I'd do would be try an Ubuntu live CD and see if you can get online 
with that. If that works, no worries.

On Wed, 16 Jan 2013, Susan wrote:

> Hi! I was planning to reimage my kids' PCs to Ubuntu but just got Clear 4G for Internet, it's paid up for
15-months so that will be my Internet for awhile, switching to Comcast therefore isn't an option.
>
> (PCsforPeople, a non-profit in St.Paul on Marshall Ave, offers Clear 4G for $170 for 15months with the
purchase of their modem/router if your family qualifies for low-income.)
>
> I'll admit I only did a quick Google search, but it seems Clear 4G only works with Windows/MAC :(
>
> Does anyone know of a hack? I'll do more searching when I have time, but thought I'd through the question out
there on this list...
>
> Susan Stewart
> Unisys Technical Services Field Technician
> Dell Certified Systems Expert
> _______________________________________________
> TCLUG Mailing List - Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota
> tclug-list <at> mn-linux.org
> http://mailman.mn-linux.org/mailman/listinfo/tclug-list
(Continue reading)

Susan | 17 Jan 00:53 2013
Picon

Re: Clear 4G & Ubuntu

*throw NOT through - ha! ;)

Susan Stewart 

On Jan 16, 2013, at 2:50 PM, Susan <susan.dawn.stewart <at> gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi! I was planning to reimage my kids' PCs to Ubuntu but just got Clear 4G for Internet, it's paid up for
15-months so that will be my Internet for awhile, switching to Comcast therefore isn't an option. 
> 
> (PCsforPeople, a non-profit in St.Paul on Marshall Ave, offers Clear 4G for $170 for 15months with the
purchase of their modem/router if your family qualifies for low-income.)
> 
> I'll admit I only did a quick Google search, but it seems Clear 4G only works with Windows/MAC :(
> 
> Does anyone know of a hack? I'll do more searching when I have time, but thought I'd through the question out
there on this list...
> 
> Susan Stewart 
> Unisys Technical Services Field Technician
> Dell Certified Systems Expert
Susan | 17 Jan 01:47 2013
Picon

Re: Clear 4G & Ubuntu

Okay...

I found this, so perhaps there's a way to accomplish this... I'll have to try it...

Although I work in I.T., I strictly do hardware break/fix, Dell Warranty Repairs in my professional role.
Anything I do on the software end of things, well, I hack my way through with the help of my friend "Google." 

Susan Stewart 

On Jan 16, 2013, at 5:53 PM, Susan <susan.dawn.stewart <at> gmail.com> wrote:

> *throw NOT through - ha! ;)
> 
> Susan Stewart 
> 
> On Jan 16, 2013, at 2:50 PM, Susan <susan.dawn.stewart <at> gmail.com> wrote:
> 
>> Hi! I was planning to reimage my kids' PCs to Ubuntu but just got Clear 4G for Internet, it's paid up for
15-months so that will be my Internet for awhile, switching to Comcast therefore isn't an option. 
>> 
>> (PCsforPeople, a non-profit in St.Paul on Marshall Ave, offers Clear 4G for $170 for 15months with the
purchase of their modem/router if your family qualifies for low-income.)
>> 
>> I'll admit I only did a quick Google search, but it seems Clear 4G only works with Windows/MAC :(
>> 
>> Does anyone know of a hack? I'll do more searching when I have time, but thought I'd through the question
out there on this list...
>> 
>> Susan Stewart 
>> Unisys Technical Services Field Technician
(Continue reading)

Brady Hegberg | 17 Jan 03:07 2013
Picon

Re: Clear 4G & Ubuntu

I have Clear...I connected it to my Ubuntu USB and it just said "Network connected" and I had Internet. 
Completely automatic.

-Brady

On Jan 16, 2013, at 6:47 PM, Susan <susan.dawn.stewart <at> gmail.com> wrote:

> Okay...
> 
> I found this, so perhaps there's a way to accomplish this... I'll have to try it...
> 
> Although I work in I.T., I strictly do hardware break/fix, Dell Warranty Repairs in my professional role.
Anything I do on the software end of things, well, I hack my way through with the help of my friend "Google." 
> 
> Susan Stewart 
> 
> On Jan 16, 2013, at 5:53 PM, Susan <susan.dawn.stewart <at> gmail.com> wrote:
> 
>> *throw NOT through - ha! ;)
>> 
>> Susan Stewart 
>> 
>> On Jan 16, 2013, at 2:50 PM, Susan <susan.dawn.stewart <at> gmail.com> wrote:
>> 
>>> Hi! I was planning to reimage my kids' PCs to Ubuntu but just got Clear 4G for Internet, it's paid up for
15-months so that will be my Internet for awhile, switching to Comcast therefore isn't an option. 
>>> 
>>> (PCsforPeople, a non-profit in St.Paul on Marshall Ave, offers Clear 4G for $170 for 15months with the
purchase of their modem/router if your family qualifies for low-income.)
>>> 
(Continue reading)

Jeremy MountainJohnson | 17 Jan 05:03 2013
Picon

Re: Clear 4G & Ubuntu

A lot of devices and services claim to only support Windows or Windows
/ Mac because Linux isn't often considered a household name for
personal computing. Fortunately this does not mean it won't work. And,
I don't believe you will need a hack to get Clear on Linux.

You should have a modem with a wireless router built in, or a USB
stick as your point of connection to Clear. The built-in wireless
router will work well with Ubuntu assuming the laptop has wireless
capabilities (which could also be added cheaply if needed). Most
people on this mailing list could help out if this is the case.

One of the USB sticks (I'm guessing this is the one Brady has),
advertises support for Linux and Android -
http://www.clear.com/devices/details/id/devatlas/name/CLEAR-Stick-Atlas.
If you are going the solo connection route with the USB stick and have
a choice, go for that one since Linux support appears to be good (my
guess is the Ubuntu kernel has drivers built in for common wimax
devices so you shouldn't need to compile or toy with drivers). The
other dongle looks to be tethered to some weird proprietary connection
manager and does not claim Linux support (may work, but may require
some hacking).

Good luck. Clear should also be able to assist with basic setup in
Linux since they advertise support for it with some of their devices.
Another thing to keep in mind, Clear is not doing so well and hasn't
for awhile- a useful tool to leverage as a consumer to get deals and
good support for tempting them with a loyal customer carrot.

--
Jeremy MountainJohnson
(Continue reading)


Gmane